the D805 overclocking build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by 786ARS, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 786ARS

786ARS

inspired by what was achieved by the ppl at toms harware, i am planning to try out an overclocked D805 build (if any of you dont know what i'm on about, heres a link http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/index.html). I just started summer hols today and am planning to do this over the two months i have but just would like some info and advice.

now i'm planning not to do liquid cooling as ive never attempted that before and it seems to be too much hassle. but i would like to know what would be the best heatsink for the job and also what would be the best motherboard compromise between functionality and quality.

any help greatly appreciated
    786ARS

2. Ghost(BOO!)

Ghost(BOO!)

why do you want to overclock a 533MHz FSB processor? Wouldn't you rather have a 800MHz FSB like the D 820? Do you alraedy have the D 805? Also that link didn't work when I tried it.

3. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

Maybe this link will work better:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/

Over in the US it's $105 for the P-D 805 -- well worth it if you want a fun overclocking toy.

The article says that the Asus P5WD2 Premium (Intel 955X) has been verfied to work, so you should probably get that. I'm not sure what heatsink would be best.

4. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Ghost, it's a toy. He's doing this just because he can. If he can get it to run at 800 FSB, he's got 4 GHz - faster than any stock 800 FSB dual core out there. You probably need water to run it at 4 GHz though, it looks like 3.8 is about the top end on air. A monster power supply is needed - that chip sucks it up!

6. Ghost(BOO!)

Ghost(BOO!)

I kind of figured that after I wrote the post

7. 786ARS

786ARS

what i plan to do is build it, then try it out for a couple weeks then ebay it. I'm purely doing this to see if i can, hence trying to do it in a budget of £700. But as for that Zalman cooler, it is out of stock on all the online uk retailers, so i was wondering if anyone knew a good substitute?