Symptoms of a Bad Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Batgirl, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Batgirl

Batgirl

My computer has had alot of problems lately. First it started off with sound problems that I never could get fixed no matter what I did. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers several times, changed PCI slots (I would get a ton of weird errors unless I used one specific slot), I formatted my hard drive and I even tried a different sound card. Here's my other thread. http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=113393
    Now I'm starting to think My motherboard has gone bad because I can't even get my PC to power up. You know how when you plug your PC in the power supply fans spin, well that doesn't even happen. I swapped out my Power supply so that's not the problem and all the wires are are in tight. What should I do now?
    Thanks,
    Batgirl

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Motherboard, AMD Althlon 2700, 1 gig PC 2700 RAM, Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum ex, Western Digital Caviar 120 GB Hard Drive, Lite On 52x CD-RW, Logitech z-680 speakers

2. nubbler

nubbler

You said you swapped out your PSU, did you use another one or just put this one out and back in?

If the fans don't spin then obvisly there is no power, so most likely it's a PSU that gave up the ghost. Bad PSUs do cause certain random, unpredicable errors like you said, that makes me think that it is your PSU that's shut. Hopefully it didn't take anything with it when it died like the motherboard, ram, cpu etc.

Wht computer is this, did you make it or was it a brand name pC like Dell, Hp etc.

3. Batgirl

Batgirl

I changed my PSU for another one. Both PSU's work fine in the other PC.
    I built this PC about 18 months ago.

4. nubbler

nubbler

Sorry, misunderstanding. Yes then it might very likely be your motherboard.

5. Batgirl

Batgirl

Is there anything else I can try or do before I invest in a new motherboard?

6. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Try this...remove the video card and RAM and then try to power the system. Normally you would get BIOS beeps indicating a problem. If you don't get beeps, the motherboard (or CPU) is probably shot.

:) Cricket

7. Batgirl

Batgirl

No Go

I removed the video card and the RAM, but it still wouldn't power up. I did notice however, that the cpu fan spun for a brief moment, shorter then it would have after being plugged in. Does this mean anything?
    I also have a an athlon 1100. Could I try this in my motherboard to determine if it is a CPU problem or a motherboard problem. Or if my motherboard is bad, would this ruin my 1100 cpu?

8. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

If you're getting no response from the system, the motherboard is most likely dead. You could try that 1.1GHz in there, but I don't think it'll make any difference.

:) Cricket