Switching computers off

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks' started by Perton, May 1, 2002.

1. Perton

Perton

Apologies if this has been answered before, but is it best to turn computers off or leave them running all the time. What do you do? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

This issue is the subject of constant debates here, there is no definitive answer.

3. Psychodic_Greak

Psychodic_Greak

For me, unfortunately. if I leave my computer on it lags worse than when I shut it down. So the best advice I can give is turn it off. but if u dont care how fast or slow you go then leave it on.

4. TwoRails

TwoRails

5. Zero_Cool786

Zero_Cool786

i was once told that the longer u keep ur computer on the more chache memory gets used, and eventually the computer crashes, not sure if its true or not

6. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

Win 9X isn't very good at using memory, so it is usually a good idea to reboot every once in a while to start fresh. Win 2K/XP doesn't have this problem, and so it is not as important to reboot; I have had my computer running XP up for days without any problems.

7. Carl Price

Carl Price

Most folks who leave their computers on and are running Windows, reboot on a regular basis, sometimes even daily. If they are running some version of Linux, they just forget about it and run it 24/7.

8. HAL9000

HAL9000

On my WinME machine, I have task scheduler set to automatically reboot the machine every morning at 7 before we're up as part of it's maintenance schedule.

9. freezinbutt

freezinbutt

When I was using Win98, I would always shut down because of the memory problem. When I switched to 2000 and XP, I rarely shut down. When I'm running Linux, I never shut down or reboot (don't need to).

freezinbutt

10. homer15

homer15 Resident Slacker

Suisun City, California (i know, where the
    there's also something to be said about thermal distress to your system. when you turn on and turn off your system, the temp inside jumps like 20-30 degrees either way (or so i've read, i've never actually tested it). this supposedly causes warping to the board and stuff like that. if it does cause problems, it's a sloooooow process.

11. Redo40

Redo40

Hey Hal, can that be done on win98?