Supressing Logon Errors

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by sdkramer, Jun 18, 2001.

1. sdkramer

sdkramer

Does anyone know how to supress the error messages I recieve on our Windows 98 boxes when the machines I have drives mapped to are offline?

TIA,

Seth "Cosmo" Kramer

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Right click on Network Neighborhood, select Properties, double click on Client for Microsoft Networks and change logon to "quick logon". This way the drives don't map and the printer ports don't capture till you actually try to use them.

3. sdkramer

sdkramer

thanks very much that worked perfectly...but I have one concern...If a DOS program needs to reference a mapped drive, will Windows enable the connection and then let DOS connect to it, or will it just fail outright. I don't have too many DOS programs, and I don't forsee this as a problem, but just so I'm not totally surprised.

TIA,

Seth "Cosmo" Kramer

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Try it - if it doesn't connect, just open My Computer and double click on the mapped drive and it should connect. (True answer - I don't really know - haven't tried this scenario!)

5. sdkramer

sdkramer

I meant automatically. The fewer steps I can make it for my mother the better.

6. bob

bob

If they click a dos icon then in properties/program/batch file type in "net use x: \\server\share"