Supermicro C2SEA build problems

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by MoiEater, Apr 18, 2011.

1. MoiEater

MoiEater

I am attempting to (re)build 8 1U mini servers into 1U workstations and can't get them to post with the new components (motherboard, CPU, RAM). Just get a continuous beep. Tried 3 of the 8 new motherboards (not installed in chassis) with 3 new sets of RAM (tried single sticks also) and 2 of the 8 new CPUs. All testing was with one PSU. Works fine when I go back to all original components, also with new CPU Cooler.

Original components are:

Case: ABMX.com 1U short depth chassis
    Motherboard: Supermicro PDSBM-LN2
    CPU: Intel XEON 3060
    RAM: 2ea. Super Talent T667UB1GC (1GB, 667Mhz, PC2-5300, 1.8V)
    PSU: Supermicro ABLECOM PWS-521-1H (520W)
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA
    HSF: Passive heatsink (chassis fans blow across)

New components:

Motherboard: Supermicro C2SEA
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 8300
    RAM: 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced 996586 (1333Mhz, PC3-10666, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24)
    HSF: Dynatron P199 1U CPU Cooler LGA775

I haven't upgraded the motherboard BIOS which might be needed, but will have to justify buying a CPU just to get these to POST so I can upgrade.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. MoiEater

MoiEater

Yes, I am using the original PSU which is 520W and has an 8 pin connector.

I think I forgot to mention that these original components will be used with the new components:

4. jdeb

jdeb

there is only one BIOS release for that board. A continuous beep means an overheating issue. Make sure CPU Heat/sink fan is properly installed.

5. glc

You sure? I thought a continuous beep was a memory issue?

6. jdeb

jdeb

not according to the manual (AMI BIOS)

7. MoiEater

MoiEater

Yeah, I seen that in the manual but I am pretty sure the CPU HSF was installed properly, I tried reinstalling it a couple times, and I installed the new one on the original setup and it worked fine.

I thought it could possibly be the BIOS since I came across this in the Supermicro FAQ's:

8. jdeb

jdeb

well maybe that is a different BIOS than the board had originally, usually the original one is posted as well. Worth a try since your confident with the heat/sink and memory. Do have any spare DDR3 memory other than the Muskin you could try?

9. glc

Good point - the Mushkin *should* work, but it's NOT on the tested memory list for the board.

10. MoiEater

MoiEater

Thanks, I thought of trying different RAM but don't have any spare DDR3.

Also, I might have been partially brain-dead when typing the original post, it isn't a continuous long beep. It's continuous beeping, not in any of the counts shown in the manual for error beep codes.

11. glc

Continuous beeping with an AMI bios is usually a memory issue.

12. MoiEater

MoiEater

Thanks, I will look into ordering some RAM that is on Supermicro's tested memory list for the C2SEA.

13. jdeb

jdeb

14. glc

15. MoiEater

MoiEater

I hopefully will be able to order some Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/2G which are on Supermicro's tested memory list for the C2SEA.

I had originally tried to order Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG45ID LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, but at the supplier that was used that board was discontinued, so the C2SEA was the second choice.

That ASUS board looks nice, but I had been directed to look for a board with onboard video that has full HD capability, thus the X4500HD video chipset. Unless the X4500 can do full HD playback also?

Thanks again, I'll post here with the results if I can get the replacement RAM.

16. jdeb

jdeb

According to Intel The difference between the GMA X4500 and the GMA X4500HD is that the GMA X4500HD is capable of "full 1080p high-definition video playback, including Blu-ray disc movies.

Intel G45 Express Chipset — Overview". Intel.com. Intel® G45 Express Chipset - Overview. Retrieved 2009-09-17

17. glc

I just read in the Newegg reviews that your Supermicro board only supports 1.5 volt dimms. The Kingston value ram is 1.5 volt, but so is that Mushkin............

Order up one Kingston module and test it. Have you tried just one Mushkin stick?

18. MoiEater

MoiEater

Yeah, I got those Mushkin figuring they would work cause they are 1.5 volt. I did try with just one stick, I tried different sticks (both in pairs and single) also because I have 8 pairs of the Mushkin.

19. MoiEater

MoiEater

I was able to pull a 2GB stick of DDR3-1333 RAM from an HP Compaq 8100 Elite and tried it in the C2SEA and it posted!

Here is a link to the spec sheet of the RAM: http://www.elpida.com/eolpdfs/E1515E20.pdf

It is 1.5V RAM also, the obvious difference that I can see is that this RAM has a 10600 bandwidth vs the 10666 of the Mushkin. The Kingston RAM I was about to buy is PC3-10600. Would that be the cause of the motherboard rejecting the Mushkin?

Edit: PC3-10600 is on the label sticker on the RAM stick I pulled, I don't see that listed in the datasheet.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  20. jdeb

jdeb

That's good news. They are basically the same speed, maybe Muskin just rounds it up and the HP (elpida)memory rounds in down. 1333mhz *8 = pc3-10664, which they round off to pc3-10666. I have found Muskin to be good memory when it works but often times it can be very flaky as I believe is your situation. They could be all be bad, seen stranger things. I would only use it if I had some laying around (I do) and the boards QVL has it listed.