still getting disk read error during install

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by djfunktion, Dec 29, 2004.

1. djfunktion

djfunktion

I've been trying to install winxp for 4 days now and its driving me nuts. It wont go past the first restart. Thought it might be the cd so I tried my friends but same thing happened. Bought a new HD but same thing happens. Tried different ram but same damn thing. I insert the cd and says hit any key to boot from cd.... ok fine. asks what type of file system and all the partition junk. Formatts HD then starts copying files. It does the auto reboot and thats it...bam...dead! It starts back up saying "press any key to boot from cd...." If I hit a key it goes thru same process but if I wait a few seconds it says "A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED, PRESS CTRL ALT DELETE TO RESTART" The cd doenst pick back up where it should. It couldnt be the cd-rom drive could it since it starts reading the cd at first and copy's some files from it?

2. oosik

oosik

Make sure your bios boot sequence is set to boot from that drive first then the CD. that way if there is no OS on the HDD, it goes to the CD rom. Once those files are transferred it should then go to the hdd and find those files and finish the install.

3. djfunktion

djfunktion

Thanks oosik,

I've changed the boot sequence several times but it doesnt change anything.
    I'm running out of ideas. Its strange because the pc was working before I tried to re-install winxp which tells me if it was bad ram or a bad ide cable I would have known something wasnt right. ahhhhhhhhhhh

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Make sure that the bios antivirus is disabled.