Steve Jobs explains it one more time...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pam123, Feb 6, 2007.

1. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Now that Apple has been accused of being the only company that "supports" and profits from DRM (Because the iPod sells.) Jobs' has laid it all out for the world to see :

His whole essay is here : http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

Gentlemen place your bets:D

2. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

I've been saying it for a long time: the era of DRM and large music labels is drawing to a close. The future consists of performers providing DRM-free music for so little money that it doesn't make sense to pirate it. At the same time, with the death of the big labels, these performers will get >90% of that money to keep, instead of having 90% go to the labels.

I think it will be a great day when people will be able to download songs from anywhere to any device and listen to them.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

Dvoraks article:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={775E7E37-8A51-438B-AAD8-D1B0B7FCADC5}

I agree, Apple etc can't keep coming up with new anti-piracy measures forever and keep their agreements with the recording industry to keep their music secure. Ultimately it is an impossible situation. Seems musicians will have to make their money throwing $350 per seat concerts.

An ulterior motive not mentioned by Jobs is that Apple will sell more Ipods because they will not have any DRM restraints. Apples share price shot up today on this news. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  4. pam123

Check out this from Roughly Drafted : http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/C77C36A5-72B2-4636-82A3-A19E0084C9D5.html

5. David M

David M Techphile.

Very interesting article Pam, thanks.

6. pam123

7. David M

David M Techphile.

Well, I think Barbara Streisand was selling seats up to $1000 not too long ago for one of her numerous "Farewell Tours". Of course not all tickets sell for the same price. My point is we will be reaching the point where a musicians primary source of income will come from performing concerts. This is too bad because they do deserve something when they release music to the public. I still buy CD's because the recording quality is as good as it is possible to obtain. At least they will get something for their efforts this way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  8. pam123

The day is coming when recorded music pays musicians, not record companies.

9. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

Exactly. When you buy a CD, little if any of that money goes to the musicians. The vast majority goes to the label.

10. David M

David M Techphile.

Good...thats how it should be. Its called making music distribution more efficient.

11. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

I say the day of having to purchase music from the BIG thugs is going bye bye... Good article pam123