SP2 ActiveX thingy in IE

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by alpha_hazard, Jan 7, 2005.

1. alpha_hazard

alpha_hazard

I only use IE every once in a while to make certain websites work. Some of these websites require downloading programs, but SP2 prevents them from downloading...now it's not much to just click the little bar that shows up, but I was wondering if there is any way to disable most of the sp2 security features as I have my own security software that I like better.

2. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

Be careful about what you download when prompted with an ActiveX Pop-up. You MUST read every "offered" ActiveX download carefully before accepting - if it says it will enhance your browsing experience or searching ability, this is a BIG red flag.

3. Statica

Statica

To do what you want - Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security settings > Download signed ActiveX controls - ENABLE.
    I must also warn you that you are making wild assumptions about your security software being entirely capable. Take the extra 3 seconds to allow for activex content download - it's well worth it.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If people would heed these warnings instead of bypassing them, they wouldn't have so many problems with IE and malware. Why do you think Firefox and Opera are regarded as a lot safer than IE? It's because they don't understand ActiveX, not because they are "better" browsers.