Sound Quit working

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by witness, Aug 24, 2011.

1. witness

witness

HP Pavilion a6403w with onboard video & sound (MCP73M02H1 motherboard.) Windows Vista.

Short story is the video card went out & I replaced it & now the sound don't work. The video went out gradually, monitor would go to sleep while he was playing a game, this kept getting worse until it quit working altogether. The sound worked until I put a vid card (asus en8400gs) in it. The device manager says sound is installed & working properly, but if you try to check the volume/mute it won't come up...says there is no sound device installed.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Time for a cheap sound card?

Have you tried reinstalling the sound drivers?

3. witness

witness

I put a new sound card in & that fixed it...now video has gone out again. I just replaced it about 6 months ago...could it be a virus? I have avg free on it & scaned about a week ago. Any ideas?

4. glc

Maybe your power supply is flaky. If it came with onboard video and you installed a video card, it may be overloaded.

5. witness

witness

6. glc

7. witness

witness

Today I put my old PS into this computer. The stock one on this machine was a 250w the one I put in it is a 300w & I know it works. And when I booted it the monitor immediately went to sleep saying there is no video signal. As I was writing this I realized that I didn't check the cable connection at the monitor, I just did & it appears to be ok. On the other end I tried it with the monitor cable connected to both the new video card & the onboard card with the same results. I don't want to plant evil thoughts, but I'm wondering about motherboard or virus or maybe hd??? On second thought if it was hd there still should be a video signal...could it be the new video card went bad so quickly? Sounds too coincidental to me...

8. glc

To test the onboard video, remove the card and reset the bios to defaults with the clear cmos procedure.

9. witness

witness

Removed video card, reset cmos & on board video works! I did a search using the mb model number & others have had the same type of problems. I never really saw a reason or solution. I guess we'll just use it and hope for the best, but does this sound like a mb going bad or what?

Thanks!!

10. witness

witness

The onboard video worked for a few weeks & went out again. I tried resetting cmos & it didn't help that time. Just for kicks I reinstalled the video card & it worked again up until today. Now I can't get the onboard video or the card to work.

11. glc

Probably time to strip and retire the computer - sounds like the motherboard has given up if the power supply is known and tested good.

12. witness

witness

I can't buy a new computer right now. Looking at MBs it looks like all of the micro atx 775 boards come with onboard video & sound which I don't really need. HERE are a bunch that are very affordable...what should I get? I know I don't want to buy another MCP73M02H1 motherboard the problems that I have been having are apparently pretty common with these boards.

13. glc

Installing a generic motherboard in a HP is not as easy as it looks.

Your link is broken.

14. witness

witness

I forgot about the proprietary thing, or maybe i was hoping "they" didn't do that anymore. I know one thing, I will never buy anything HP again! They use to have good stuff I have old plotters & printers that still work great & I've worked them hard too. But, everything that I've bought from them in the past 4 or 5 years is junk.

Anyways, Here it is again...what would it involve, just a reformat of the HD?