Sony Vaio PCG-8Z2L Video Card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by irmo123, Sep 26, 2011.

1. irmo123

irmo123

Does anybody know if the Sony Vaio PCG-8Z2L has a graphics card that can be replaced? If so what would fit? I've been searching abouty an found conflicting answers.

JB

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

That's a laptop - and it's not likely it can be replaced. Most laptops have the video chip soldered to the motherboard.

3. irmo123

irmo123

Thanks, I think you're probably right. The Sony site doesn't have much useful technical information. The laptop belongs to a friend. The geek squad said $400 to replace the graphics card, but I can't even find anywhere that says there's a card to replace. The most common statement is that there is an nVidia on board processor, but I though maybe there was a slot somewhere for an upgrade card or something.

4. jdeb

jdeb

That is actually for the motherboard. Have you explored eBay for a replacement board to do it yourself? I bet you can get one for under 80.00

5. irmo123

irmo123

Ah, its for the motherboard. Makes sense. Thank you clearing that up. Is there a particular mobo form/style/spec I should be lookng for or do I specifically need one for the PCG-8Z2L?

6. glc

It needs to be a specific motherboard.

7. irmo123

irmo123

Looks like I need a A1364059A MBX-176 Motherboard. They are running $165 to $225 on ebay right now. I'm not a laptop tech, but from what I've seen I could probably do the swap. I just wonder whats next, fans? hard drive? The laptop is three years old, and used and the primary home computer at my friends house. I think that's how thye burned out the graphics chip, leaving the machine plugged in and turned on. I leaning towards recommending a new laptop. Thoughts?

8. glc

It's not worth fixing at that price. I'd recommend a desktop.

9. irmo123

irmo123

Agree, thanks for the input

10. jdeb

jdeb

Yeah, that is pricey. I would not put that kind of money in it. I am used to the inexpensive (reasonable) Dells and Lenovo's. Strange enough, I have never had a Sony apart.

11. irmo123

irmo123

Thanks for all the help. I also recommended the more reasonably priced alternatives. My frind is indeed going to get a follow up question in. What's the easiest way to transfer the data from the old laptop to the new...given there is no video on the old laptop?

JB

12. glc

13. irmo123

irmo123

Exactly what I was looking for. Cool. Thanks.