Some websites not fully loading

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by hodunwun, Jul 25, 2004.

1. hodunwun

hodunwun

Some websites do not fully load. The graphics and words load instantaneously but none of the links work. Scroll box does not work. These sites are bascally stuck. However when I left click on them I get an hourglass and then in awhile a blink and bingo all is cool and links work etc. This is true for the Webshots site. I have run the Norton cleanups for the net, reinstalled IE 6 and run Spybot. Running comcast cable modem. I have a second computer networked with this one and there is no problem with it. So it is in this box. Could there be an app that is doing this? Any ideas.
    Computer info: Intell P IV 2.3 mgh, 512 mgs rambus, XP pro, Assus MBd, Linksys wire router and a RCA cable modem.
    Thanks for your attention.
    Doug

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  2. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

It's GHz and MB, not that it's the problem or anything ;)

Have you also tried running adaware?

Have you tried running an AV scan? Try this: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

3. hodunwun

hodunwun

Yes, ghz and MB. Got a little carried away. No virus problem. The computer is scheduled to run Norton Antivirus regularly. Any other ideas? Not spywear either according to Spybot. Thanks for your attention.
    doug

4. Force Flow

You said you have tried spybot, but have you also tried adaware? It usually picks up stuff spybot doesn't and visa versa.

5. hodunwun

hodunwun

Thanks guys for getting me on the right track. Free Pestcontrol scan found 91 infestations after Spybot cleaning. Loaded the pay for Pest Control and did a cleaning. No more problem loading web sites all the way. I don't know which piece of spyware was causing the problem. More than likely it was several. I noticed also that sites load even faster. My scroll function on my logitech mouse now works at all sites. Nice. Thanks for your help.
    doug ;)

6. Force Flow

Excellent. :)

Now, if you don't have a firewall already, I'd suggest installing Sygate Personal Firewall or Kerio Personal Firewall. A firewall keeps a lot of the junk out.

7. hodunwun

hodunwun

Well I did a dumb thing: I am running xp and somehow I had the firewall turned off. After the free Pest Patrol scan found 92 critters, I checked to see if the firewall was turned on and it wasn't . It is on now. I just set Pestpatrol to run once a week using the xp 'task scheduler'. Not sure exactly how that will work. I am wonder if the task scheduler will actually start a scan or whether I have to do some more settings. I was trying to avoid the instructions in Pestpatrol about accessing the scheduler via control panel.
    Thanks for your comments.
    doug

8. Force Flow

XP's firewall doesn't really do a whole lot for spyware coming in.