So uhm... hi!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kuurion, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Kuurion

Kuurion

Hello PC Mech forums! Hooh boy this is kind of intimidating. Moreso the entire situation than the forum itself.

I'll make another post for it but mostly my reason for coming here was to do some research about tech stuff and, well really to learn. I've recently learned that my current laptop is a ticking time bomb and was advised by a good techie friend of mine to build my own PC from the ground up. I would go with another laptop but I want to play WoW and was told laptops aren't good for games, period.

Anyways, I'm going to do a bit of research and looking around, figured this would be a good place to start.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Welcome!

Just to let you know, if a laptop will suit your needs better, you can get one that will play WoW without any problems. You just need one that has a strong discrete graphics chip and expect to pay about $1000. By the time you get done building a good desktop, you will be close to that anyway.

3. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

Welcome to PC Mech, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here with GLC above being a very helpful guru who seems to always have the answer. :)

One thing to be aware of, I believe discrete graphics take a lot more juice, so your battery life wouldn't be as good. You can help this if you get more cells. Another way is that at least Lenovo had some laptops that had switchable graphics (at least I seem to remember seeing some when I looked for my netbook almost a year ago), but the price will be a good deal more. However, their Thinkpads are solid machines.

4. RossJansick

RossJansick

GLC is a guru