So I got my Vista Comp. up and going

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by ColinsMTW, Jul 7, 2007.

1. ColinsMTW

ColinsMTW

After a couple of hours last night and some this morning I've got my first PC build up and going. I downloaded the P5B Probe software for my P5B mobo and it says that the motherboard is running a bit hot. I did a little bit of a google search and came across someone saying that the case needs another fan or maybe that Vista runs video settings high. However, my CPU is runing at a smooth low temp. So I was wondering....does the mobo run hot just for a little while? Is 49 degrees Celsius too hot? The threshhold or the point that the Probe sofware reccomends is 45. I plan on gaming should I be concernced for this little guy of mine?

2. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Assuming that probe is accurate you have an air circulation problem.
    What fans do you have and what case (Why not post your full specs?)?
    Depending on what you've got you may need another fan or you may need to reposition the ones you have.

3. ColinsMTW

ColinsMTW

I have an Apevia X-Cruiser Case. Im pretty sure that the fans are all running. Except I'm not too sure if the fan is running on the EVGA 8800 GTS. I opened the case and touched the video card and it was blazing. The case supports an extra fan in the front, I will have to check to see what size. But how can I test to see if the video card fan is running?
    Thanks for the information poeple :)

4. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Take the side off the case turn on the computer and look.

5. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

Unless you are seeing stability problems (like crashes, freezes, etc) I wouldn't worry about the temps too much. If I recall when I tired ASUS probe on my ASUS board it was in the same range and sounding alarms. I've never had freezes or crashes so I'm not worried about it.

Since the 8800 looks like it exhausts it's air directly to the outside world you can stick your hand by the exhaust slot and feel if there's warm air coming. It's pretty normal for video cards to get pretty darn hot. I watched my X1800 during a game once it reached the 90C range, but again it doesn't crash or freeze so I'm not worried about it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  6. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

Make sure that the fans at the back and top are exhausting the air and not blowing into the case.

7. ColinsMTW

ColinsMTW

Thanks Guys.