Sharing WiMax Internet Connection through a wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by Prince, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Prince

Prince

Hello folks,

I have the following issue, I hope I can find help here:

I have (Also check the below image):

1- Desktop PC.. (Windows 7).

2- HP Laptop..(Windows 7).

3- iPhone 3GS.

4- Nokia N95 mobile phone.

5 - TP-Link TL-WR641G wireless router.

6- TP-Link TL-WN821N USB Adapter , Connected to the PC.

7- Wi-Max Internet USB. Connected to the PC.

The Desktop PC is at my home and always ON.. it has the Wi-Max Internet USB.. I use it to connect to the Internet. Also the PC has the Wireless USB Adapter I use it to connect to the home group.

What I want is.. share the internet connection which I have on the Desktop PC (using Wi-Max Internet USB).. to the Wireless router.. and then I can make all wireless devices (mobile phones + the laptop) to connect to the router and use Internet.

is That possible?!

Thanks in Advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The easiest way to do this would be to use Internet Connection Sharing and connect the desktop PC to the router with an Ethernet cable. Doing this 100% wirelessly is really not feasible. You will not use the USB wireless adapter, just the WiMax adapter.

You would set up ICS in Windows 7 from the USB adapter to the Ethernet port. Before you do this, you will have to modify the router settings. Log into the router and change its internal IP address to 192.168.0.254. Disable the router's internal DHCP server. Set up the wireless portion of the router accordingly. Connect the PC to the router using one of the LAN ports, NOT the Internet port.

The other option is to find a router that you can plug the WiMax adapter into directly. This is the best option, but I don't think there are any out there that are anywhere near reasonably priced yet.

3. Prince

Prince

Thanks glc for the fast response. here I have some questions,,

1- On windows 7, when you Enable the ICS on Wi-Max Connection settings, The ICS will automatically change TCP/IPv4 settings for the other connection which connected to the router to use the following address (192.168.2.1). do I have to Change it or change the router Internal ip address accordingly? make it for example (192.168.2.254) ?!

2- All my tries was using the USB Wireless adapter and no luck, do you think it was faild because I used the USB wireless adapter and never used Ethernet connected direct to the router???! I will try it when I get home and give you my feed back.

3- do I have to change IP settings on the Laptop ? since DHCP will be disabled, it will get strange IP address, and windows 7 will consider it a public/unidentified network.

4- The iPhone and Nokia mobile phone are different operating systems, they have nothing to do with the ICS, they will treat the router as it gets the Internet connection from a modem, so I want you to take in consideration that no modification can be done on iPhone & Nokia phone in order to connect to the Internet!

4. strollin

strollin

Another way to do this would be to install the free software, Connectify on your computer with the WiMax connection which will turn that computer into a wireless router. You won't need to use your current wireless router to do this. All of your wireless devices will be able to connect directly to the machine with the WiMax.

You might check cradlepoint.com. They have a number of routers that support 4G devices, don't know if your particular device is supported or not.

5. glc

If ICS assigns 192.168.2.1 to the Ethernet adapter, then yes, you will have to change the router's IP to 192.168.2.254. You do not have to change IP's on anything else, the ICS will become your DHCP server. As long as all devices that are connecting wirelessly to the router are set to use DHCP, they will connect. The router operated in this fashion is no longer a router - it's simply a switch and wireless access point. The ICS is your router.

6. Prince

Prince

worked perfectly, many thanks glc [​IMG]

7. Prince

Prince

Thanks Strollin I tried this application but in windows 7 it keep ask me to define my network type (Home , Work or Public networks) every 1 or 2 hours, so at the end of the day if I name my wireless netwrok (abc) for example, I find my PC have a network name (abc 12) or more. [​IMG]

8. midknightglass

midknightglass

Hey glc,
    I'm new to networking and I'm also trying to share a wimax connection between 3 laptops using a wireless g router. When I try to change the internal IP address it says I need an IP subnet mask, gateway IP address and primary and secondary dns as well. What do those need to be set to?

9. glc

It sounds to me like you are trying to change the router mode of operation to a static IP, not the internal address of the router itself. You can just leave the mode of operation in obtain IP automatically, because it won't be used. There won't be anything connected to the Internet/WAN port. You didn't say what brand and model your router is, but if it's a Linksys the internal IP is 192.168.1.1. Almost all routers have a 192.168.x.1 internal address, look for that, this is what you need to change.

I'm assuming you are using a computer to share the Wimax out TO the router using Internet Connection Sharing?

10. midknightglass

midknightglass

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a netgear wireless g router but all 3 of my laptops are hooked up using the ethernet ports right now. You are correct that I'm trying to use a computer to share the wimax out to the router with ICS. It turns out I was changing the wrong setting, I misread it thinking it said internal ip address but it was internet ip address. I haven't had any luck finding how to change the internal ip address. There's a setting under LAN setup for TCP/IP setup - IP address that is currently set to 192.168.1.1 and below it has a checkbox to enable or disable use of the router as DHCP server. Is this what I need to change? If so, what do I change it to? When I enable ICS on the wimax connection to share over the LAN it automatically changes the LAN ip address to 192.168.137.1 any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

11. glc

Disable the use of the router as a DHCP server, and change 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.137.254.

12. AJWallace

AJWallace

do you have to have windows 7 to do this because all I have is windows xp. do i need to upgrade? I have a netgear wgr614v9 wireless router and a sierra wireless 250u usb wi max adapter

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  13. glc

ICS works fine with XP, and it will assign 192.168.0.1 to the sharing adapter. This means you have to change your router's IP to 192.168.0.254.

14. AJWallace

AJWallace

thank you glc...you are THE MAN

15. Spirittribe

Spirittribe

Thanks!

OMG Thank you very much! I've been trying to share my Clear WiMax USB dongle through a Linksys 54g router for a few months in order to connect my new Nintendo 3DS to the internet.

I had to set my router ip to 192.168.127.254 and it worked right away when I set my WiMAX internet sharing to the home network. WOW! Thank you so very much and when I needed it the most because the new update for my 3DS is released today with the browser and extra game downloads.

16. tilokpng

tilokpng

CONNECTING a BreezeMax Si to Cisco Linksys E1000

I have a BreezeMax Si connected by cable to a Lenovo ThinkCentre running Windows 7. I would like to connect a Cisco LinkSys E1000 direct to the BreezeMax so that the ThinkCentre and my laptop can connect wirelessly to the internet connection.

I set up the Linksys with the Cisco Connect software to connect to the internet using L2TP (same as the ThinkCentre) with the telco ISP address in the Internet Connection part of the set up page, together with my connection number and password. Then I went to the status page and clicked on connect and got a reply 'unable to obtain IP address from L2TP server'.

The ThinkCentre and laptop connect Ok to the Linksys but I cannot get the linksys to connect to the internet.

A number of people have suggested connecting BreezeMax by cable to the Linksys and the Linksys by cable to the ThinkCentre after an internet connection is established, but this has not helped. I think I lose the internet connection as soon as I unplug the BreezeMax from the ThinkCentre. JustAnswer were not able to help.

Is what I am trying to do possible or do I need a router specially configured for 3G/4G/WiMax like the Netgear MBRN3000?

Thanks.

17. Detonate

Detonate

I recently had to set up three wireless networks using ICS. The problem I had was that the default gateway on the first routers I tried was 192.168.0.1. So I tried to change this to something outside of ICS's DHCP range, which is 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 but on these routers, the change would not take. Every time I would restart the routers, they would go back to 192.168.0.1. These were cheap D-Link routers. I probably could have figured out how to fix this but I was up against a deadline, so I got three WRT54GLs and they worked perfectly. The default gateway on these in 192.168.1.1 so there is no conflict. Anybody need three D-Link routers?:)