Setting up 120gb SSD as cach.

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by Carnivore, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Carnivore

Carnivore

Using the help here I have ordered my computer. Now since the Intel smart tech is new to me I was looking for some info. I did a search but didn't come up with how to set up the SSD. I am assuming that now the OS should go on the psychical disk so the SSD can cach but with a 120 gb SSD should it be partitioned so the rest of the disk can be used or in set up will there be a chance to do that? I am in the dark. Oh and if I got all this wrong let me have it. Again thanks for any help.

2. jdeb

jdeb

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you have a 120, I'd consider using it standalone and install the OS and apps on the SSD. You can only use a maximum of 64gb for caching.

4. Carnivore

Carnivore

Wow great info. I can see that just using the SSD stand alone is faster. I will be installing OS tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how much faster things are from my old system. Thanks again for the info.

Oh the Motherboard is a Asus P8z68 Deluxe with a OCZ 120gb Vertex 3. Just finished building the system and it booted fine. Going to be fun on a bun tomorrow.

5. PC_FUBAR

PC_FUBAR

I have a similar question but I think the world of SSD caching has moved on since the original post because you are no longer limited to a 64GB cache.

I have an ASUS P9X79 PRO mother board with Wn7 Pro 64bit on a 150GB VelociRaptor but I want to implement SSD caching.

The question is what size SDD do I pair it with?

Now as far as I understand it the MB disc controller will just copy (move?) frequently accessed data from the HDD to the SSD for faster access times. So I assume you I would need to fit a SSD with a capacity equal to or slightly greater than the total amount of data you have on your HDD?

The current amount of data on the HDD is less than 20GB so in theory I could pair it with a 20GB SSD assuming I never installed anymore large applications on the HDD.

However if I suddenly installed two massive games on the HDD, equaling 40GB of data and played them frequently, then this would cause the disk controller major problems because there would not physically be enough room on the SSD to copy all the data across. And I would need to fit a 60GD SSD instead.

So basically I'm thinking when choosing a SSD to use as a cache, its capacity should be equal to or just slightly greater than the total amount of program data that you expect to frequently access on the HDD and not necessarily just greater that the size of the HDD.

This is an important question due to the still relative high cost of buying SSD's and the possible cost savings when selecting SSD's for disc caching.

Are my assumptions correct?

6. jdeb

jdeb

I think the premise is still the same. The larger SSD (120GB+) for OS and Apps is going to give you the best performance scenario. There is no limit with Asus SSD caching, so get what you can afford.

The X79 uses the marvel controller for SSD caching and can be problematic. I was not overly impressed with my testing, the BSOD's were rather annoying as well. I think it is more of a bandwidth issue or controller driver? May have been fixed as I tested around Christmas.

This may help you
    ASUS talks X79 RAM disk, SSD caching and auto-overclocking - Techgage.com

ASUS X79 - SSD Caching - YouTube

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  7. PC_FUBAR

PC_FUBAR

Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor [ WD1500HLHX ]

was eventually paired with a 120GB Intel 520 SDD.

Everything seems fine but its impossible to gauge the benefits of using SSD caching on this new PC because its a new PC - everything's faster. :p

The ASUS caching software gives zero feedback on caching performance. :(

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s67/bbutc/ssdc2.png

It would be nice to see some sort of statistical evidence of all the performance increase gained from spending all that extra cash just in case you don't notice it. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  8. Sourtop

Sourtop

Why on earth would you use an Intel 520 120 GB SSD as a cache? The purpose of that SRT is to offer a cheaper alternative to people who can't afford a large enough SSD to install an OS + apps on.

Install the OS on the SSD and use that HDD as a data drive/back up. You'll notice the difference then.

Replacing that HDD with a WD Caviar Black would more than likely even given better performance than using SRT.