Screws for Motherboard

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by waiwai933, Nov 10, 2007.

1. waiwai933

waiwai933

When I got my case, I received two different screws to use to assemble my computer in. I'm trying to install my motherboard, but both types of screws seem to fit just fine. The first one is a bigger, 6-sided shape with a cross in the middle for tightening. On the underneath, it has weird spikes. The second one is a smaller, round screw that also has the cross. It's normal on the underneath. Both of them fit the case and the motherboard, so I'm not sure which one to use. Does anyone have any advice?

Case: Foxconn TLM624
    MB: ASUS K8V-VM K8M890 754

2. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

You don't screw the motherboard down directly to the mounting tray, you install standoffs between the motherboard and the mounting tray. Then you use the normal screws to hold the motherboard down (screws into the standoffs).

Be sure to only use the motherboard mounting holes (the holes with the metal rings around them).

:) Cricket

3. waiwai933

waiwai933

What does a mounting tray look like? I don't think I have one in my Motherboard box.

4. tigstah

tigstah

the holes in the back of the computer case. thats where the mounting screws go. take the left door off, if you are facing the front of the case. look inside, the back wall of the case has bunch of holes. lay the case down so that the holes are facing up.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  5. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

The mounting tray is part of the case...it's where you mount the motherboard.

:) Cricket

6. waiwai933

waiwai933

Standoff

Oh, I see, but then... what's the standoff? [​IMG] Is it that thing?

7. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

No that is the case face plate.. In the uppper left hand corner of the mb those ports you see fit in there ie usb, ps2, video, printer port game port etc... Stand offs are a copper looking mount with a hole in the top that the mb screws go into.. here is a picture of what they look like... http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/images/buildsystem/IMG_6805.jpg They screw into your case, then you place the mb on top of them to prevent shorting out your mb.. Then you hold down the mb, with the screw, that screw into the standoffs.

8. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

I also strongly recommend you read the various topis this site has to offer on how to build your on computer...

9. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

10. waiwai933

waiwai933

It seems that if that's what they are, it's already installed in my case. Is this unusual, or does it happen with most cases?

11. sgtspector

sgtspector

It is possible that they are already installed in the tray but they are likely not in all the right holes for your particular motherboard. Read the motherboard instructions and look for the mounting screws diagram. If there are none use the motherboard and line up the holes with the silver ring around them on the motherboard to the holes on the tray and place the standoffs in those holes only and do not skip any. And read the tutorial on building you own pc.

12. piasabird

piasabird

Confluence of the Mississippi and Misouri Rivers