"Scratchy" sound coming from Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by brgrabs, Aug 3, 2007.

1. brgrabs

brgrabs

For the last 3 days or so my computer has been making a sound that I can only describe as scratchy. Its like theres dust particles blowing around making noises off and on. I believe it is coming from my hard drive, but I have not 100% positive. Any ideas what it could be??

2. Kuch

Kuch

1. If you think the drive is failing, I would suggest you back up all important documents before you do anything else.
    2. Use compressed air to clean out your system. You may have some dust on a fan in there that is making the noise.
    3. If that doesn't work, download the HDD utilities from your HHD manufacturer's website and see if the drive is failing.
    4. Did you do anything to your systems before this sound started? Open the case or anything? You may have nudged something loose and that is what you are hearing.

3. jgilbreath04

jgilbreath04

if you do think it is your HD I would definitely start backing up asap. I have actually watched a drive die on me while trying to back it up, very upsetting thing to watcher your computer start to slowly stop functioning and then just freeze up and not have the disk spin. (that was the last Maxtor drive I bought, or ever will buy)

4. brgrabs

brgrabs

How do I go about backing it up?

5. AnotherMuggle

AnotherMuggle

If there are specific files...music, pictures, documents...that you want to keep, simply burn them to a CD or external drive.

If you want to do a full system backup then you will need some additional software, such as Acronis True Image.