S.M.A.R.T. Capable But Command Failed

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Kov-Ice, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

I got this msg the last two restarts on my computer. It lists my 40GB ata133 Maxtor drive as "Primary Master Ultra DMA mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. capable but command failed," when checking all of the drives. It then says, "S.M.A.R.T. command failed. Press F1 to continue."

My OS is on a Maxtor SATA drive, so this drive is just used for extra storage. This began yesterday when I installed a second Maxtor SATA drive. I didn't go near the IDE drive in question.

The AMI BIOS site says that comment can signify a HDD beginning to go into failure. I don't see how installing a SATA drive would induce that in any way. It seems to work fine reading a writing the few files on the disk.

Did I miss something installing the SATA drive that could've caused this?

2. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

OK, I downloaded Maxtor's PowerMax to run diagnostics on the problem drive. However, their help file recommends that you disconnect all other drives before booting with the PowerMax floppy the program creates.

Can I unplug my two SATA drives (incl. the one with the OS), and then after running diagnostics replug them with no problems? Or do I have to do something to be sure they're recognized properly when I replug them?

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If they are all Maxtor drives, you can just keep them hooked up and run diags on one at a time.

4. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

Do they have that written more as a disclaimer? Mebbe so someone doesn't accidentally zero-fill the wrong drive?

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I'm not telling you to zero fill the drives - just test them!

6. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

:) I know I know, just curious why they recommend that. Although, the test came back with an imminent failure error code. I ran a full scan and it offered to fix the drive, which it said it successfully did. Yet, next boot resulted in same SMART error.

So, would the next step be to go ahead and do the Low Level Format with PowerMax to see if that can help? If so, do I disconnect the SATA drives before attempting it, or is just being careful in selecting the correct drive fine?

7. Mesaeus

Mesaeus

Carefully selecting the right drive should be fine, but you can disconnect the SATA drive if you want extra peace of mind, it should work perfectly when you reconnect it. Now, I sure hope you don't mind losing what's on that failing drive because everything is pointing to a fast exit from this plane of existance :D That's why S.M.A.R.T was developed : to get an early warning before the drive gives the ghost. If you still want to use it until it finally gives up, disable SMART in the bios setup (most have an option for this) so you don't get that "Press F1 to continue" error.

8. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

Actually, I checked around and found the old receipt for the drive. It's still under warranty from Maxtor. It was purchased when they were still offering the 3-year warranty on the 2mb cache drives. So it's probably worth the $8 in postage to RMA it and get a replacement instead of trying to squeeze any more life outta the thing anyway, eh?

9. Mesaeus

Mesaeus

Oh yes, definitely RMA it. They usually want you to run PowerMax and tell them the error code so do that beforehand and you should have a (more or less) new drive in a couple of weeks.