Ryobi... Very Dissatisfied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hi Ho, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

In December I bought a Ryobi gas powered weed whacker. I have a 10 year old Ryobi electric trimmer and it has been excellent. It still works just fine. I just wanted to be free from the cord. I paid about $200 for the gas trimmer.

I have been VERY unimpressed with it. Since December it has gotten about 3 hours of use. The rest of the time it has been in for repairs or sitting in my shop. First it was making a terrible metalic rattle. I took it in to the service center and they had it for about a month. When I finally got it home the problem was NOT fixed. I ran it for about five minutes. The rattle was still there. It died at idle and would not start. I took it in a few days ago along with a letter proclaiming my dissatisfaction. I got a call today and they said the engine had burned up and they would NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY. :mad: :mad: :mad: I cannot believe it!!! $200 precious dollars down the drain!

I have investigated Ryobi further. Appearently they have been bought out by MTD. If I had known that I never would have bought the Ryobi. I have had terrible experiences with MTD in the past. This is appearently yet another. Ryobi is now crap. How can they charge $200 for a product that is not worth $20? Why do other companies buy out companies with good reputations and completely slaughter their reputation???? I am so sick of this kind of thing. I see it in the PC world, cars, everywhere. What happened to quality products? Why doesn't someone stand up and fight to keep good quality products coming out of the factories?

The guy at the service desk told me when I brought it in last that in his opinion Ryobi is now crap. Appearently the motor has a half crankshaft which is possibly the WORST design possible. A half crankshaft is only supported on one end. How mind-bogglingly stupid is that??? He also said that soon companies will be required to rate their machines in how long they should be expected to last. He said Most of the Ryobi models will be rated at 50 hours... 50 hours???!!!! that is completely unacceptable for a $200 machine!!!

I still want a gas powered weed whacker and when I can afford one I would like to get a good quality one. It will be a while unless I can somehow get my money back for this peice of crap. Does anyone still make good power equipment? I know Honda does but they don't make weed whackers. The only one that comes to mind is Stihl. I sure hope they haven't turned to crap too. I have several Stihl toolst that are over 30 years old and they still work fine. Does anyone know if they make good weed whackers?

2. figarowa

figarowa

Check out Tanaka, a bit on the pricey side but very reliable, some even come with electric start depending on the model. I've used for quite some time and never had a problem other then having to recharge the battery for the electric start from non use.

3. LA22

LA22

I very sorry this has happened to you. I know if this happend to my Dad he would do anything possible to get his money back. All is I can say is now you are going to have to research every product you want to buy. I know it sucks you cant just go out and buy a used to be trusted brand anymore. I hope you get your money back somehow if possible

4. Hi Ho

Thanks for the Tanaka recommendation Figarowa. They look nice. I just discovered that Honda does make trimmers. Well that's two good brands. Any more? I'd still like to know Stihl's current quality standard.

5. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

Off topic once again, but what justification did they give you for not honouring the warranty, seeing as the engine was a severe PoC?? Surely it is their problem if it doesn't make the distance, check the warranty conditions. If the warranty doesn't cover it, and you bought it defective, send a complaint to your ombudsman. You might not get your money back, but the ombudsman will investigate and it'll cause the company a bit of a headache, if they're selling defective units and not replacing them.

6. Hi Ho

They said it was due to "abuse". That can't be possible. It was used carefully for less than three hours total with the correct gas/oil mixture. I read the manual thoroughly and did everything it said.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  7. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

Contact your state's attorney general - see if they are willing to contact Ryobi on your behalf.

8. mairving

mairving

Ryobi's quality is probably what you expect for the price that you pay. Used to sell Tanaka but getting parts can sometimes be difficult. Personal favorite is Echo. I have had one for 5 yrs and never even changed the spark plug and it starts somewhere around the 3rd pull every time. Parts are much easier to come by too.

9. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

how to file an effective complaint

rule #1 - customer (no) service is a joke. Most CSR's for manufacturers aren't empowered enough to resolve true issues. They are fine for informational questions but that's about it.

So aim a little bit higher and if you are going to aim high, go all the way:

Drop a nice, calm, reasoned letter to the CEO of the company.

Hand written works best with a clear and concise (less than 1 page) detailing of the problem, your experience in trying to resolve the problem and how, in your opinion, the problem can be resolved.

Things not to do:

Don't swear (while it may appear to be emphatic, it automatically slots you as a rude jerk)
    Don't use sarcasm (it does not convey well in writing)
    Don't say you will never buy their equipment again (they have no incentive to resolve the problem as you are no longer a customer)

for Ryobi your letter should be addressed to:

Jeffery Dils, CEO
    Ryobi technologies
    1428 Pearman Dairy Rd
    Anderson, SC 29625

While this is not 100% effective, most CEOs/Presidents have a specific team of people who are tasked with reviewing and resolving complaints directed at the CEO's office and of those, many CEO's review X number of those to better stay in touch with their customers. These teams are generally outside the normal chain of customer service and resport directly to the office of the CEO and can be empowered to solve problems quickly and efficiently.

Also, have this same discussion with the place you bought the product, most resellers have a person that they deal with at the manufacturer who may be able to resolve the problem.

Good luck.

10. David M

David M Techphile.

Sorry about the problems. Ryobi is bottom of the barrel quality along with Sears Craftsman power tools (not the hand tools) and Black and Decker. I learned the hard way never to buy them.

11. Redfallon

Redfallon Resident Intel Fanboy

Another vote for echo here. Excellent brand, and you can get one for not much more than you paid for the Ryobi, at least in my area. That price seems a little high for that brand, but again it could just be a market difference. :confused:

12. Hi Ho

Well in my experiences Ryobi used to be top notch. Obviously not anymore. I never have trusted Craftman power equipment or Black and Decker anything.

13. mairving

mairving

Ryobi gas powered stuff has never been that great. It has always been on the low end but not the worst low end stuff.

14. figarowa

figarowa

I've good luck with my craftsman 19.2 volt cordless drill, which I use heavily every day and prior to changing jobs was 7 days a week when I was an installer. Black and Decker is kinda crappy which does not make since, since they are one and the same with DeWalt, but who knows.

15. Hi Ho

Craftman power tools are quite good. I have a several including a full size jointer and they have all been very good. Their power equipment (mowers, trimmers, etc.) isn't too great. I have a Craftman self propelled mower that was given to me practically brand new and I am anything but impressed. As of now only one wheel is powered and the gears start slipping as soon as it touches the ground. On top of that it is much heavier than any mower I've used and without the self propulsion it is very difficult to use.

I won't be getting any more mowers with Briggs & Stratton engines either. I have three mowers, including the Craftsman, with B&S engines and only one works. They have all been taken very good care of.

For power tools I go with Bosch, Millwaukee, Makita, Craftsman, and DeWalt. Bosch and Millwaukee are my favorite. My cordless Bosch drill is the best I have ever used as is my Millwaukee circular saw.

16. shazam

shazam

I have used a stihl for over 5 years no problems. Husky is also a very good brand. One tip if I may. Oil, use the best oil you can find. Cheap oil ( I have found ) fowles the spark plug and causes hard starting. Also leaves high carbon deposits.

17. lil Jimmie

lil Jimmie HOT ROD

We have a few Craftsman industrial power tools at the shop that have been work horses so I can't say anything bad about them. I also like Makita, DeWalt and Millwaukee power tools. I got a Ryobi cordless drill as a present a few years ago and I'm not to impressed with it.

18. mullardel34

mullardel34

Last summer, I ordered parts for my 1985 Homelite weedeater over at John Deere. I could see they carry quality products. You may find just what you need.

19. mritech75

mritech75

I use a Homelite straight-shaft weed wacker I bought at Home Depot. Works and runs great so far-had it a couple of years.

20. spyder003

spyder003 Blizzard Fanboy

Go to Wal-Mart and spend 80 bucks on a "Weed Eater", they last forever.