Restore D Drive correct upper and lower filters

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by g48dd, Jul 7, 2009.

1. g48dd

g48dd

Hi, a friend lost his DVD Drive, I know how to do this:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I can get to this point, but there are a whole bunch of { 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 } listed. However the very first one says something about DVD Drive and there are two icons listed in that folder that say Lower Filter and Upper filter, I read somewhere *** Do not delete Key What is the Key? The folder I am in? )*** and
    *** Do Not Delete String Values ( well I think I know what a string value is, a series of numbers? Is this what it was talking about: 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 )

When I am in the folder all I can highlight an icon that says ... ab ... the there is name type data listed under those headings one icon says upper filter and another says lower filter .... I can only highlight the icon .... I am suppose to delete the ab icon's that say upper & lower filters? and then reboot?

Sorry I wrote so much but I wanted to make sure I understand what I am doing before I delete stuff out of his registry. Also I checked [My Computer] [System] [ Hardware ] [ device mngr ] there is a yellow flag on his D drive.

Thanks Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  2. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

Why are fiddling with the registry?

If the DVD drive failed, physically disconnect and/or remove it from the computer, and it will disappear.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

No, that's a legitimate procedure.

Yes. Highlight the words "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" and hit the Delete key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

4. g48dd

g48dd

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure before I went deleting stuff. The Drive is there it has not failed, but XP lost track of it.

Ken

5. g48dd

g48dd

Just wanted you to know that worked just fine

thanks
    Ken