Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes

For some reason I cannot get my remote desktop connection to work, i have the remote enabled by click properties on my computer, selecting remote, and turning it on. Both computers have it enable and I still cannot connect. I am using a wireless router from linksys, could that be the problem? Do I need to set something up on the router? Or do I need to use the routers password when trying to log on to the other computer?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Where exactly are the 2 computers? Are they both connected to the same router or are you trying to go across the Internet?

If you are going across the Internet, you need to forward a port in the router that the host machine is connected to. If it's only on your LAN, it's probably a firewall issue. If you are using the Windows firewall, check the exception list, if you are using a 3rd party firewall, get rid of it.

3. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes

I have no idea if im trying to go over the internet or not, computer 1 is connected wirelessly, computer 2 is connected through cable. Im using windows firewall and mcafee one. How do i get into the router settings to forward a port?

4. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

disable McAfee's and retry...alot of time 3rd party as glc lmentioned will block the ports...

you are going over the internet if the pc's are in 2 different locations...IE...1 at home and another at work...

you go thru the router if both pc's are in one place...providing they hook to the same router...;)

EDIT: for the pot forwarding in the router you need to log into the router....the info will be in your routers manual...it will describe how to log in and set up the router...

if you dont have the instructions you will have to go to the manufactures site...what brand of router do you have..?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If they are both on the same router, no port forwarding needed. Uninstall McCrappee.