Ready to build my first gaming PC

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by Milkdud, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Milkdud

Milkdud

I want to build a gaming PC that will run BF3 on high as well as other games in the future. Here's a link for what I have chosen so far:
    System Build - PCPartPicker

I already have 2 HDDs and an optical drive. I chose a 750w PSU because I plan to Crossfire at some point. Since I'm not sure what to look for in a motherboard, I wasn't sure if this one would be sufficient or not. I also wanted to know if there's any reason to get 8GB of RAM instead of 4. I'd like to be in the $800 range, and any suggestions would be great.

2. David M

David M Techphile.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

4. Milkdud

Milkdud

Great, thanks for the advice. I made the changes you suggested System Build - PCPartPicker.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I have a few dumb questions just to make sure I do this right. I'm just curious what you mean when you say the Gigabyte mobo won't work for crossfire because the second slot is 4x. I was also looking at Khalil's guide, and he seems to like Biostar motherboards. Since the Asus board is more expensive than the one I originally chose, would this Biostar board negatively affect performance.

Also, do you think its worth it to plan for crossfire, and could you suggest what mobo I should get if I don't plan to crossfire? I know I would downgrade to a 650w PSU. I just want to weigh my options before I pull the trigger.

Again, thanks a lot for the advice and sorry about the noob questions.

5. David M

David M Techphile.

Why not the Revolution at 2 x 16 lanes? Is it because it is not a Z68 chipset?

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Out of the budget range, David.

The Asus is more expensive for a reason - Biostar boards are okay but they are not top quality.

There are only so many PCI-E lanes to go around on P67 and Z68 boards. All the boards will run the primary slot at 16x, but what happens when you add a 2nd card varies depending on the board. The cheaper ones generally will keep the primary slot at 16x and run the 2nd slot at 4x. The better boards will run them both at 8x. The real high end boards (such as the Revolution) can run them both at x16 because they have an addon NF200 controller.

When you Crossfire, 8x/8x is preferable to 16x/4x.

I personally don't think Crossfire is worth it, it overly complicates things. A 6950 is a very strong card by itself. Board and PSU for a single card:

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

7. Milkdud

Milkdud

Sounds good, thanks a lot for clarifying everything.