Questions about the page/swap file in windows XP.

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Matt_Smi, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

I have 768Mb’s of RAM in my computer, I am wondering if adjusting the page/swap file (one that uses the HD like RAM) would give me better performance. Right now I have 384Mb’s allocated, I am not sure what would be optimal for the amount of ram I have, but I am thinking that I should maybe allocate less? Or should I just leave it alone? I doubt my computer has to use it often since I have a decent amount of RAM, let me know, thanks.

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

XP does a good job at managing the swap file. You really won't feel/taste/or smell anything different but try some different settings and see for yourself.

It can help a bit to place it on a partiton/drive other than C drive.

3. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

4. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

Usually the page file is set to 1.5 to 2 times the total amount of the system's RAM.

5. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

If you let Windows manage your Page file you'll be fine. The default settings will be your installed amount as minimum and 1.5 x the installed amount as maximum. As ES has said, putting the page file on a separate partition can improve performance. Here's what I use as a guide to configuring my hard drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482&Product=winxp

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Thanks for the info guys; I think I will just leave it alone.