Question on Second Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by quartet-man, Feb 6, 2009.

1. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I got my computer back today and a Rosewill SATA + Ultra ATA Raid Controller was installed to bypass the messed up capacitors on my motherboard. I am using the 1 TB hard drive as the sole drive. My understanding is that at this point I am not using raid, but if I want to add a second hard drive I will have to and I will likely have to reinstall Windows. Is that true?
    I presume I can still use external hard drives and the like since they use USB and not the motherboard or controller card. Is that correct?

2. amdalex

amdalex

You can add another hard drive, then you format it from disk management, who ever told you that you have to reinstall windows is full of crap.

3. quartet-man

I think he said I am not using raid right now even though the card is a raid card. Does that make sense?

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

It may be a RAID card, but a RAID card can handle multiple drives without having to configure a RAID.

5. quartet-man

Thanks guys. It doesn't instill a lot of confidence that he didn't know that. This is a repair shop / authorized reseller. I may have to give it a shot in a few days.

6. quartet-man