processor overheating

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by djm227, Mar 23, 2006.

1. djm227

djm227

when i first put this computer together it wouldnt boot because of the processor overheating, so i got some arctic silver and applied it and everything was running smooth, except for some occasional warning messages about the temp getting to hot. A couple days ago i installed a new video card and ever sicne then my Intel Desktop utility has been giving me many warning messages, usually while im playing a game, about my processer exceeding the reccomended temp.

I dont know what to do, should i apply more arctic silver? I have 2 case fans (one top one side), and a processor fan. Right now its at 50 deegrees cerlcius, but when i play a game its usually at around 65 to 68, and when it goes over the limit around 72.

thanks for the help

2. rspassey

rspassey ~ Ryan ~

First, check to make sure that you have installed the HeatSink, so that it is making complete contact. Sometimes, even being a milimeter off, that will cause the problem. Also, if you have too much thermal compound, it can actually work the opposite way, as an insulator, and raise temperatures.

3. gtucker329

gtucker329

are you using the stock intel heatsink? Those are notorious for being hard to install correctly. Just as ryan said, make sure you didn't put too much compound on. The artic silver website has very good instructions.

4. djm227

djm227

i will check to make sure it is installed correctly, and yes it is the heatsink/fan taht came with the processor. When i applied the Arctic Silver i made sure i put on the right amount. Would buying a better heatsink/fan for it fix this problem?

5. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

If you put the Artic Silver on without cleaning off the thermal pad that came with the heatsink, you will have a problem like Ryan says.