Problems Getting New Work Units

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Ray_S, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ray_S

Ray_S

Hi all,

Is anyone else having problems getting new WUs?. It has been 2 days since I got my last 1. It tries to get more, but gets assigned to 0.0.0.0 for the new units.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Yep. I've been having that issue for about a week now. I updated my clients from 5.04 to 6.23 yesterday and it's a LOT better.

3. Ray_S

Ray_S

Thanks for that glc I did the same and got more work right away

4. glc

Only thing that's aggravating me now is all it's giving me is AMBER wu's. I'm getting half the ppd's I was getting with GROMACS.

5. Hufigyed

Hufigyed

Yeah that can be frustrating, and usually it reminds me of the real reason I'm folding. I get the same thing sometimes with the SMP client, they will assign me a1 WUs instead of a3. My i7 860 does about 8000 PPD with the a3s and a little over 2000 PPD with the a1s but sometimes they assign the a1s because they are temporarily out of a3s or they need to get more a1s done. So perhaps there is a similar issue in your situation. I'm not sure if you're running the uniprocessor client or the GPU client so I didn't check.

A good place to see what's going on is www.foldingforum.org if a new issue arises you will usually find threads about other people having the same.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. glc

I'm running 2 uniprocessor clients on a E8400.

7. Hufigyed

Hufigyed

Does not look like there is a lot you can do. WUs are assigned more or less randomly so if there is more AMBERs or if they want to finish a particular project or generation, that's what the server will assign. You could try turning advmethods on or off as there can be a different mix of AMBERs and GROMACs in either pool but this will likely change every few weeks. Alternatively, since you have two clients you might try one with advmethods and one without.

The clients do detect what hardware is being used but at this time the servers don't use it which is a shame because it would not only award more points but also help the projects move along quicker. Core2s and similar Pentiums definitely run the GROMACs faster whereas P4 and older are about the same and AMDs tend to do better with AMBERs. However it does not seem that there are plans to configure the assignment servers to use this information in the near future.