Problem reinstalling XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by wayne62682, Mar 28, 2004.

1. wayne62682

wayne62682

My PC is about two years old and originally game with (ugh) Windows ME, but I upgraded to XP Pro about a year ago. My desktop was getting cluttered so I backed up what I wanted and decided to reinstall it and start fresh... but here's the prob:

I tell it I want a clean install, but when I loaded XP up again it still kept my old files and stuff under the Documents and Settings folder (it doesn't appear on the login screen or the User accounts, however, but by going through the C: drive I can access all my old stuff; it didn't delete it!). I've tried nearly everything I can think of to do a real clean install.. I can't delete the existing XP partition because it tells me it has Setup files required by Windows (I'm using an Upgrade version of XP Pro, not the full retail version), and I can't run the System Restore disk to return to ME and then upgrade to XP because my XP partition is NTFS and ME is FAT32, so it tells me it can't find the hard drive.

Is there anything I can do to get a clean install without having to spend $200 on the full version of XP??

2. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

Well, if for some reason it keeps copying your files and you don't want it to, then just use a win98 boot disk and fdisk the whole drive in FAT32 and then start up WinXP setup and tell it to reformat in NTFS and then continue installing as normal. It's a work around but it should work for ya since you can't delete the system partition through setup.

EDIT* You will be prompted to insert your WinME disk during the install to confirm that you own a previous Windows version, but that's all that you will need it for.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver

Setup will allow you to delete the system partition; it gives you a warning first however. It has been a while since I have installed xp; I think you will need to press the L key to confirm the delete. Read the menus carefully; you will be able to delete the partition xp is on now.

4. wayne62682

wayne62682

I tried that.. I press D to delete the partition and it takes me to a screen that says it can't perform that because the partition contains required Setup files, and I have to go back to the partition screen.

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

6. wayne62682

wayne62682

Hmm now that I think about it, wouldn't Driveworks or Partition Magic work to let me delete the NTFS partition and then create a FAT32 partition? I haven't really gotten the chance to use either program (got them as part of a PC repair class) and see what they're all about, so I'm not sure if this is possible.

BTW, XP will be able to recognize a System Restore disk with a valid version of Windows, right (talking about using DragonNOA1's method here, where XP will ask if I have a valid copy of windows in order to upgrade)? I mean.. I don't have an actual copy of ME, just HP's system recovery CD that came with my PC.

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

1. No need to make a FAT32 partition, just blow away the partitions and let XP create a new one in the unpartitioned space. However, if it's a HP, you may be dealing with a hidden recovery partition too, which may be what's confusing the issue.

2. GOOD question. It may not recognize that as a Windows CD.

8. wayne62682

wayne62682

Hmm.. I may just have to create the FAT32 partition to reinstall ME and as soon as that's finished pop in XP. Doesn't look like I have another choice since i don't have $200 to buy the full version of XP. :(

9. TeenPcknowit

TeenPcknowit

Installing a opereating system doesn't meen your files will be deleted. Format and partition to do that...But windows xp should have asked you if you wanted to format and partition. So I don't know whats up there. NTFS is more stable, and arguing with the idiots....it does support games... NTFS is newer...try it out.

10. wayne62682

wayne62682

I know it should ask me to partition, but it didn't. It shows me the existing WinXP partition (which I can't delete) and I press enter to install on that partition (I only have the one), but it doesn't ask me if I want to format the partition as FAT or NTFS. That's probably why it doesn't erase my old files.