Printer Sharing... Can't figure it out???

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Jeff Lam, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam

I just installed my network. I have a desktop wired to my linksys router and a laptop running wireless. I can't seem to get the laptop to see the printer that is on the desktop via usb.

I set the printer to share as: Epson... and the box is checked on both computers for "file and printer sharing" in each LAN properties page but I can't see the properties when that line is highlighted. I tried to add printer and set it as a network printer as \\main computer name\epson... but it says not a valid name and not found on the laptop.

I checked the "my network places" icon on the desktop and my desktop pc sees both computers but the laptop doesn't see anything not even itself.

What am I doing wrong? I just want to be able to print off my laptop via sharing method.

Thanks!

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Does the laptop see the Internet? All software firewalls off?

3. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam

Just did a clean install yesterday. It sees the internet fine. No firewall installed, no anti-virus installed.

When I look in "my network places" it now sees itself but not the desktop pc.

4. glc

Operating system versions of both machines, please.

If XP, have you run the networking wizard, choosing "other", then "this computer is connected directly to the Internet"?

5. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam

Sorry, forgot to mention. Windows 2000 pro on both machines.

6. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam

How do I check to see if they are on the same workgroup. I never created one or set up one but my desktop sees the laptop in "computers near me" but I can't access it, it says "network path not found".

7. glc

Control panel, system, network identification.

With 2000, you have to add users in computer management to share files and printers.

Right click My Computer, Manage. Users and Groups, Users. You have to add the user that is logged into the OTHER machine, exact username and password.

In your TCP/IP properties on each machine, go to Advanced, WINS - and enable NetBIOS.

8. Allanv

Allanv

did you share the printer? right click the printer select sharing ?

9. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam

This seemed to do the trick. It is very slow in sending the info from the laptop but it seems to be working OK.

Thanks GLC, you truely are the ultimate computer guru.

10. glc

The slowness could be a wireless issue - you didn't say which model router you have, but the BEFW11S4 version 4 has some documented issues, it's a lemon.

11. Jeff Lam

Jeff Lam

Linksys WKPC54G, but it came with documentation and software for the WRK54G so I assume they are pretty much the same.

However I got a Hawking Hi-Gain antenna yesterday to try and get more range and found that this routers antenna is not removabel. I will probably return it and get the original WRK54G unless you have a router you have found to be better?

GLC, what's your choice for Wireless G right now under $100?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  12. glc

WRT54G.