Power your car with free oil. How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Punked Out Comp, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

In this months National Geographic article there was an article about the energy sources of the future. In the article, there was a page, that was a picture of a guy and his astroturf covered car, carrying a thing of oil and the caption said that he gets his oil free from the used oil of a potato chip making company, and spends only $8 a month on fueling his car. I have a few questions. How and where can you get a potato chip or any other fryed food manufacturer to give you free oil? What is the $8 a month spent on? Isnt it gasoline, and not oil, that fuels you car, or can your car run on oil as well?

2. DonVito

DonVito

I bet he needs somebody or some place to refine it somehow, into fuel. Thats what costs $8.

3. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

There's a way to convert diesel engines (which use very thick fuel that is injected into the cylinder at very high compression ratios to produce detonation) to run on vegetable oil. That's probably what he did/had someone else do. There was an article about it in Car and Driver a year or two ago.

4. catacon

catacon Chop Chop

Cool. Why is his car covered in astro-turf? That seems a little odd.

5. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

Diesel engines need a tank to warm oil in and then it can detonate and be used as fuel. Some people get the oil from Fast Food places.

6. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

How tdo you get the fast food places to give it to you for free?

7. Floppyman

Floppyman PCMech Owner Staff Member

I think it's the waste oil we're talking about here. Oil in fast food fryers is changed on a regular basis.

8. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

I realize that, but you cant just go in there and steal it, how do you get it?

9. FLG

FLG

Simply ask them for it, im sure when going to change it if you ask, they will be more then happy to give it to you since they wont have to pay for someone to pick it up and dispose of it.

10. Punked Out Comp

Punked Out Comp

Ok, and where do you go to get it refined into fuel for only $8?

11. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

That might just be for supplies -- many people who do this just run the oil through a fine sieve and then put it inot their car.

12. HAL9000

HAL9000

I've seen articles on how it's done.. ya.. it's just the changed oil from deep fryers, and second, no refining, you filter it like you would any other fuel, but you may want to change filters a little more often.

13. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

14. David M

David M Techphile.

I see cars running on soybean oil. Mostly old hippies in Berkeley driving old beat up cars with 20 self-riteous bumper stickers on the back. I have always wanted to stick my nose up to the tailpipe and see what it smells like. It cant be any worse than the smell of diesel. They spend a LOT more for this fuel than regular diesel. But hey man, if it makes you feel good then do it...groovy!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  15. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

from what I have heard the power derived from bio-diesel is less than the power needed to create said fuel..there are, however, definite emissions advantages but that is about it...