power supply making clicking noise

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by wammy_bar, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wammy_bar

wammy_bar

when i turn the computer on it makes a clicking noise in the power supply, if i jiggle it I can sometimes make it stop but it worries me. what is going wrong?

the computer is working its just the noise. it also dies out after a minute or 2.

2. TwoRails

TwoRails

Often such a noise is the fan going out in the PS. If it's under warranty, exchange it if you can. If not, you can replace the fan if you are comfortable doing so. Take great care as there is a lot of energy stored in the caps in those things...

Some times, though, it can be foreign material in there, too. You can blow it out or open it up and clean it out.

3. twodayslate

twodayslate

When my computer makes a clicking noise it is usually becuase the fan is hitting something. clean it out and remove foreign objects.

4. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

What brand is that power supply?

If the sound isn't something hitting the fan blades then it's time to worry...the clicking sound could be electrical arcing, possibly between two sides of a broken solder joint. How fast is the clicking sound?

:) Cricket

5. wammy_bar

wammy_bar

its moderately fast, and its a corsair 520 watt power supply, the sound stops after the computer is all up and going, and when i jiggle the power cable on the end plugged into the computer, it gets louder and quieter and stuff. did i get a faulty part? computer works fine tho.

6. TwoRails

TwoRails

If it's under warranty, I'd get it replaced. Wiggling the power cord is not fully conclusive (a slight movement in the frame could make a fan noise change) but it is safety concern: sure hate for your house to burn down because of it....