Please help - PC says my external hard drive is not formatted - Need to recover files

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by mellow139, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mellow139

mellow139

Hi all. I've ran into yet another PC problem. I have a western digital external hard drive that I've been using for less than a year. It has been running smoothly on my dell latitude E6500 laptap running Windows XP pro. I've stored at least a terabyte of data on it. I tried accessing the drive from a PC running windows vista and the OS failed to install the drive. Now, when I try to access the drive from my dell laptop, a pop up says that the drive is not formatted.

More specifically, when I attach the drive to the dell, a long period of time passes before the autoplay window pops up to scan my drive. Finally, after about 10 min, the drive is displayed on the "my computer" window. However, when I try to access the drive, a pop comes up stating the disk is not formatted.

Is there a way to get my dell to recognize the disk again without losing my data?

Thanks for the help.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. mellow139

mellow139

Maybe I should try to data recovery software first then. Do you have any recommendation for one? I don't mind spending a little bit for effectiveness and ease of use. Thanks!!

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member