Pc to Mac MP3 copy

Discussion in 'Apple General Discussion' started by kennys1, Oct 10, 2010.

1. kennys1

kennys1

My Daughter has a mac book and lives in New York City, I have a PC and live in Pittsburgh. I have a large collection of Music files on my PC and I would like to send them to her. Is there a way I could copy them to an external HD and send it to her so she could rerad them with her MAC?

Thanks
    Ken

2. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Yes, you can. She shouldn't have any problems plugging in the HDD and copying the files to her computer.

3. Iamjosh

Iamjosh

If the external drive is formatted in NTFS, she'll have to learn to mount that drive for Mac to recognize it. If the drive is formatted in FAT32, make sure no single folder is larger than 4.0 GB.

I would not really even go that route of sending her a physical drive but upload a folder of your music files to one of the many cyber lockers sites (Rapidshare, Hotfile, Megaupload and many more..) The cost of a premium membership will be a small fraction of purchasing and shipping a hard drive. The shipping of a hard drive also requires certain pre-requisite in safe shipping methods as it's too easy to damage the drive. The premium account may be shared between you and your daughter with a single connection at the time.

4. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Another thing you could do is to just burn her DVDs with the music and this also gives her a backup.

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Burned CD's or DVD's will be the cheapest method.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

How many gigs of music are we talking about here? This is the deciding factor. I have a music collection of 250 gigs. It would make no sense to burn 250/4.7 = 54 DVD's, if one considers their time to be important. Nor does it make sense to upload and store this much music so it can be shared. For this much music the most practical solution is to copy it to a hard drive in FAT 32 so a Mac can read the files. Properly shipping a hard drive is easy enough.

If it is no more than perhaps 50 gigs of music then burning it to a few DVD's or uploading it makes sense.

Ken, I assume you know that sharing music like this is illegal, but that's a whole different topic that has already been beaten to death in numerous forums. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010