PC on when on holiday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by makanaka, Oct 20, 2002.

1. makanaka

makanaka

Would appreciate some advice here. I run Win XP Home on my home PC - P3 550 / 512 RAM / Gigabyte mobo - and will be travelling for close to three weeks from early Nov.

My email traffic is considerable and I plan to access my PC while abroad using either PC Anywhere or GoToMyPC or an equivalent.

I use a non-standard personal firewall called Look'n'Stop, which I find doesn't interfere with a Mac that is on my home network, and have Norton AntiVirus 2002 running. I've been thinking of - since the other home machines will be shut down - uninstalling my current firewall and using ZoneAlarm Pro for the period.

But my question is: What precautions should I take in order to ensure that the PC stays up and running for three weeks uninterrupted, and stays secure against infiltration?

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Before you go to that trouble - does your ISP offer a webmail interface?

PCAnywhere only requires 2 ports open and forwarded in the firewall - one TCP and one UDP.

3. HAL9000

HAL9000

4. makanaka

makanaka

Thanks for the alert, glc. Will check with the ISP. I suppose that if I run a pilot before leaving, and get the firewall to permit whatever it is PCAnywhere wants to have open, it should do the job?

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

5631 TCP and 5632 UDP are the ports.