Outlook Express 5 to 6

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Jukeboxs, May 11, 2002.

1. Jukeboxs

Sep 23, 2001
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi there.

I am currently trying out WinXP on my spare hard disk, whilst keeping all current used data on my main hard disk using Win98SE.

I am having a problem transferring my Identities Outlook Express 5 mail messages from Win98SE, which I have saved on a readable CDR, into OE6 in WinXP. In Win98SE, the mail files were saved in directory 'Windows/Application Data/Identities'. However, on doing a search for 'Inbox' on the WinXP hard disk, nothing comes up, and I can not obviously see where the mail files are stored. When I try to import my OE5 messages into OE6, I am not allowed as it only has the option importing from of OE4 or OE6. Does anyone have any ideas how I can merge my old OE5 files (now saved in a directory on my XP HD) into my new OE6?

One more small thing: in Win98SE, I used shortcut icons on my task bar lying along the bottom of my desktop, but WinXP does not seem to allow shorcuts to be dragged onto this taskbar. Any ideas as how I can accomplish this without having to use a seperate Shortcuts bar?

Many thanks as always. Your help is much appreciated!

2. DrZaius

Jul 30, 2000
    Fullerton, CA
    Hi Jukeboxs,

Here are instructions on which files you need to backup and how to restore your email.

You have to make sure that the folders and files that have the email are not set to "Read Only" because it won't work. As for the task bar icons, right click on the taskbar and choose Lock the Taskbar, then you can put your icons and Lock it back. Hope that helps.