Optimal Fan Configuration?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by jaygee61, Oct 4, 2007.

1. jaygee61

jaygee61

Hey ya'll!

Okay, i know that the best way to have my system run smoothly is to have good airflow through it. Here's my setup, please let me know what I can do to tweak it!

I have the standard rear-mount 80mm case exhaust, one of those 3-fan bay mounted HD set-ups as intake; then, on the side access panel, I have a 120mm intake on the lower portion of the access door and two 80mm side-by-side exhaust fans above that.

My CPU runs steady at 48 degrees Celsius, which I guess is okay, but my overall system temp can get as high as 55 degrees Celsius, which kind of concerns me.

Do I have a good fan set-up? What could I do to improve it?

Also, I ran onto this recently...

http://www.nexfan.com/evairdua.html

Would it be worth the small investment?

Thanks for all your input!

2. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

Considered bigger fans to replace the smaller ones?? You'll want to consider quality-brand larger fans, as they often have higher flow than two smaller ones

3. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Aside from the bay fan, you don't have any other front intake fans? Most cases have a intake fan in the lower front of the chassis.
    That's really odd...generally the CPU temps will be higher than the case temps.
    Nope...save your money.

:) Cricket

4. jaygee61

jaygee61

I used to have another front intake, but it was self-installed and I took it out to free up a Molex connector for the side mounted fans. Should I put it back in? Can too many fans overload the PSU?

As for the exhaust duct... it would seem to me that the blow-off from the CPU heatsink/fan would contribute a lot to the overall case temp and having that exhaust straight out of the case would help to lower the system temp... ??? I could be mistaken though.

Thanks for the tips!

5. jaygee61

jaygee61

Oh... the 55 degree reading is a spike, generally the system temp runs in the upper 30's to low 40's Celsius.

6. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

CPU heatsink fans blow down into the heatsink fins. Installing the duct would help bring cool air directly to the CPU but it would also screw up the air flow patterns in the case. Besides, it's looks idiotic.

7. jaygee61

jaygee61

Ahhhh... okay! See there, I learned something!

So an exhaust duct is a bad idea. Would I be better off with another front-mount intake to cool the HD's and switching the 120mm to exhaust?

8. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Depends how it's done and where it's located.
    With case cooling it's a matter of trial and error when you're dealing with many fans (my computers only have 1 exhaust fan plus the fan in the power supply...no intake fans)...you'll just have to flip the fans around and then monitor your temps to see just what works best for your computer.

Some time ago a member here experimented with his case cooling and provided the attached image that shows the results of his fan placement/orientation experiment. The best scenario was lots of exhaust and no shroud or duct over the CPU heatsink. Sorry, but I totally forget who the member was.

Attached Files:

9. Ahura

Ahura

Wait, which side is the case facing? Is this a server case or something, it seem really tall and not very wide.

10. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

What are you talking about? The attached image from my post?

11. jaygee61

jaygee61

Okay... so it would appear from the diagram (thanks Cricket!) that a configuration leaning heavily toward exhaust produces the best results. That would make sense I suppose; move as much air away from the components as possible.

12. jaygee61

jaygee61

Wait, you said that, didn't you! ~DUH~

13. jaygee61

jaygee61

Well, that did the trick! I reorganized the fans so the 120mm is running as intake on the front of the case and the two side 80mm, as well as the rear 80mm are all set up as exhaust.

My CPU temp dropped to 44 degrees Celsius and the case temp is holding in the low to mid 30s.

Thanks for all the advice! Maybe I can get away with a little OC-ing now!

14. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Sometimes it pays to experiment a bit with the fans (placement and direction of air flow). Glad to hear you got good results.

15. Ahura

Ahura

Oh yeah Cricket. The case in the picture.

16. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Those pictures are just a very rough diagram of a case showing where the fans were located and which direction they were blowing. In the first case (upper left) it indicates the front of the case...so for each diagram the right side is the front and the left side is the rear. The small arrow show which way each fan is blowing. The best layout for this particular situation was the lower right diagram (#6).

Remember there are just rough diagrams showing you the location of each fan and the direction the fan was blowing. The diagram of the case is not to scale or anything like that.

17. Ahura

Ahura

In about 10-15 years or so they would be :O