Opening .cwk files in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Software Discussion & Support' started by ZeratulsAvenger, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ZeratulsAvenger

ZeratulsAvenger

Well I was previously stationed on a Mac, just a year or so ago moved to a PC. Since I am something of a packrat I kept all of my school work that I typed from 9th and 10th grade, incase I ever wanted to go back and read it. Sadly all of the 9th grade documents were typed up in AppleWorks, using a .cwk file format, and now I am unable to read them. I could open them on a Mac and save them as format readable by Word or OpenOffice, but I really don't want too. That would be kind of a hastle.

Any idea's? I can't find anything to view them with that is free.

While I am on the note of opening other file formats in Word and OpenOffice, how would I open a .wps file? My friend is going to be using my 2ndary computer and has all of her documents for school as .wps files(Microsoft Works files?) and now has Word at her disposal, but no Works. An addon for Word to open them would be awesome, but anything to view and/or edit them in Word/Notepad/Wordpad is good enough.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. Spaz06

Spaz06

Will this work for the wps file format?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=EN

For the cwk file, I don't have a clue. I did a little research and can't really find anything. Have you tried Excel?

EDIT

I found a .cwk file to try out on the internet, and it will open in word!

Open up word>file>open>change the file type to recover text from any file type. Then you can save it from there to an actual .doc file

This may work for the .wps file as well.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  3. ZeratulsAvenger

ZeratulsAvenger

*Slaps his head* Wow, I didn't even think to look at Microsofts site... I guess the 2nd was more of a rushed question though, didnt really think before I wrote. Thanks for the link, I'll see how it handles the Microsoft Works files as soon as I can have her send me one(I dare not send it to the computer illiterate unless I know it works ;)).

Isn't Excel a worksheet or type program? Rows and Columns and all that good stuff? The .cwk files are plain old word files, heck I don't even know if I have anything even bolded or underlined in them, just words. Sadly just an seemingly difficult to open format :(

EDIT: Ok, well I just tried the .cwk files and they, umm, came through kinda. Lots of funny symbols and some program looking code in snippets near the bottom of the 30 odd pages it adds to some documents, but it does open them. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  4. Spaz06

Spaz06

Yes, excel is a worksheet program and it won't open the file. Word will open it, just change the file type like I mentioned above.