older Dell Dimension 2400 issue

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by mrtube, May 22, 2011.

1. mrtube

mrtube

Hi,

Working on a computer for some friends of mine and have run into an issue.

I just did a fresh install of XP and even during the install as well as during updates the computer seems to go into sleep mode and cannot be brought back without forcing it to shut down via holding power button in for a few seconds or unplugging it.

I have sleep disabled in windows and it appears to happen for no apparent reason. The screen goes blank and the power light turns amber no matter whats going on. Hard drive remains running as do all fans. The four LEDs at the rear of the PC all go out.

I noticed many of the aluminum electrolytic caps around the CPU are buldged and am planning to replace them, however I was to be sure the caps would cause this kind of problem before I go through the trouble.

Has anyone had a dell like this act this way due to caps?

I'd like to get this thing working smoothly for them as money is tight and its mainly used as a word processor.

Thanks,

Chris J.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The motherboard is toast. Depending on the exact model you can find replacements pretty cheap. What is it? G1548 and K5148 are a couple of numbers that I see.

3. jdeb

jdeb

4. mrtube

mrtube

glc : are you saying the mobo is toast because of the caps or the symptom?

5. Preston

Preston

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  6. mrtube

mrtube

Luckily I have a bunch of low ESR 2200uf 6.3v 5mm lead pitch caps on hand (Nichicon UHM0J222MPD3) so I will swap them out tonight and see what happens.

I assume there is a chance a few caps in the power supply are shot as well? Don't know who made the PSU at this time, but knowing DELL I'm sure it went to the lowest bidder.

7. Preston

Preston

The power supply would be a suspect too. I've replaced a few of those for family and friends lately. A lot of low quality power supplies out there.

Another couple of thoughts, is hibernation disabled as well? All the BIOS settings look normal?

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Dell power supplies are actually pretty reliable, they just are limited on the amount of power. If it has onboard video and no video card, it's more than adequate.

9. mrtube

mrtube

Computer appears to be 100% fixed. I also swear it boots faster now tho I don't know why it would?

I replaced the buldging caps but also found the processor had a TON of grease smooshed all over it and down the sides. When I removed the heatsink it actually pulled the CPU out of the socket. I've never seen this before, not sure if it came from dell like this (doubt it) or if someone was there before me.

I also found the compound on the chipset heatsink to be dried up and nasty.

So with new minimal amounts of heatsink grease on the cpu and chipset as well as a nice set of new caps its a happy computer once again.

10. Preston

Preston

Nice work!

Thanks for posting the outcome, a lot of threads just trail off and we never know the final outcome. Good to hear a happy ending.

11. jdeb

jdeb

nice job. still not worth more than 50.00 bucks;)

12. Preston

Preston

You're messing with my (his) Zen thing, man! :D

--Tron Legacy

13. mrtube

mrtube

The slowest machine I have is an AMD 6000+ with 4GB ram, GTX260 and a Raptor 74Gb.

But my friends Dell gets their work done for them and thats what makes them happy. So thats whats important ;)

Besides, I bet its worth at least $65 with new caps. :D

14. mrtube

mrtube

Jdeb,

Did you mean the PC wasn't worth more than $50 or my work? I'm assuming you meant the PC.

15. jdeb

jdeb

right the PC, your time is valuable. :D