OEM (again?)

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by Briab Guy, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Briab Guy

Briab Guy

Yes, individuals can still buy OEM versions of Windows 7. But they cannot then install that copy of Windows 7 on a PC they are building for themselves. Instead, they can only install it on a PC that they then sell--and support--to someone else. And they must do so using Microsoft's OEM pre-installation kit (OPK), a step that is clearly aimed at further preventing this type of software from being used by the hobbyist market.

I read that at another site.

Does the writer mean that OEM will not install without the "OEM Preinstallation Kit"?
    Or is it a legal obligation that stops ppl from installing the OEM without the OEM Preinstallation Kit?

I know this has been gone over, but I am thick headed sometimes :)
    Thanks

2. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

the OEM installs fine...

the OPK kit is for installing the OPK software on a PC used for Deploying the OEM OS on Multiple drives as if you were building 3 or more rigs the same...like Dell and HP and others do...

it just makes it easier as you can load more than one rig at the same time off the 1 single OPK copy without even cracking the seal on the OS copies...

just something MS does to make builders lives easier...

you can buy the OEM and install it just fine...

3. Briab Guy

Briab Guy

thnks

MaxRat

I read a previous post by you and thought I was safe using OEM like in the past. Then I started reading other articles that convoluted the whole thing again.
    So thanks for the clarity.
    B

4. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

You won't be able to transfer an OEM license to another PC, or if you replace a motherboard or hard drive, you'll have to call microsoft to re-activate.

A Retail license will transfer to other PCs and new parts.

5. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

I have to respectfully disagree, Force. "Able to" may not be consistent with the EULA, but I know for a fact that you can install an oem version on a different pc when the first is retired and never have any trouble with on line activation. I also know you can use an OEM disk (XP) to do a clean install on a name brand pc and use the Product Key off the COA sticker to perform the installation. That one will also activate without any issues. You just have to make sure to use the proper disk that corresponds to the version on the COA, ie: Home with Home, Pro with Pro and Media Center with Media Center. It's also worth noting that slipstreamed disks with SP3 perform equally well for these same installations. It's really not about the "able to", it's all about the legality according to the EULA.

6. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

I was leaning more towards what the EULA allows in terms of the COA and key. The physical media doesn't really matter so long as you're going apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

In terms of technical options, there is certainly more leeway.

I had understood the EULA to mean "no transfers to other PCs", but actually re-reading the pertinent section for XP today might just be simultaneous installations, as you indicate.

7. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

I replaced the motherboard in my sisters faulty PC recently and did not have to call MS to reactivate. Her PC has Vista HP OEM installed.