No sound, No Volume Control, No Ideas Anymore!

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by propflux01, Dec 25, 2004.

1. propflux01

propflux01

Merry Christmas!

I am working on a friends Gateway g6-350 Pent 2 puter. It was completely reformatted before I got it, but no audio seems to work. It has Win98SE, and I have the CD for it. I installed drivers for the Modem, and video card, and they seem to work. However, I tries installing the sound drivers, and no such luck. I went to Gateways site, got the needed drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried driver.com, a couple other places, and still no luck. The Computer specs are here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/M00301/M00301tc.shtml

and drivers were downloaded from here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=4000301

Thing is, when I downloaded this stuff, I followed the directions to a 'T', and even tried other ways to install it. My problem is I get no volume control, No little speaker icon in the lower right, slip in an audio CD, windows Media comes up, but just hangs there, ( yeah, uninstalled and reinstalled that, too.) Nothing ever plays. In Device Manager, everyting is showing installed, correct driver, no conflicts.....I am at a loss here to find what I am overlooking. Just for info, the Board is a 440BX, with integrated Video and Audio. Audio chip is 'Creative ES 1373' , and Modem is U.S. Robotics 6000758 (model 613). Any help would greatly be appreciated!

2. edfair

edfair

Upon occasion the only way to get them to load properly is to replace the driver after all else has failed to work. Mangler, sound, replace driver with the Gateway version on the hard drive.
    I know it is a long shot, and suspect that you've already tried it.

3. propflux01

propflux01

Yup, I did. I even went to Intels' web site and found a driver thrier for this MoBo, however, it is the same one as the Gateway one. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. Just kils me as I have no conflicts going on at all.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Is the onboard sound enabled in the bios?

5. propflux01

propflux01

Yes, It is. I was going through the control panel trying to come across anyhting funky, I did notice that check mark box that selects putting an icon in the taskbar was greyed out. Windows media also says it cannot playback because soundcard is in use or not installed. Argghh!!

6. propflux01

propflux01

Got it! Don't know how, I just reinstalled (again) the driver and selected (again) 'use preferred device' in the midi section, an viola, it all came to be. I do not know what I did different, if anything, or what.........I have done this about (seriously) 12 or 14 times.....???????????????????

7. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Just blame it on Gateway! When I owned one that's what I used to do.

8. propflux01

propflux01

Next Time I am just going to call an Exorcist!!! :eek: