New XP Install, no drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by BrwnEyes4DC, Mar 20, 2005.

1. BrwnEyes4DC

Mar 20, 2005
    Ok here is my problem. I just recently got a new computer; a HP Compaq 530ssf. I add a larger hard drive to it and in do so I needed to install Windows XP Professional all over again. After I install the new Windows, it was not able to locate my ethernet card, or my sound card. I was told(and have done it before) that the drivers are available on the Windows XP Pro disk. Nope, not on mine. It can't locate the drivers on the disk either, and when I downloaded them from the HP website and burned them to a disk. And when I tried to install them from the disk it still didn't work. I don't know what is wrong, it is actually acting like it doesn't have an ethernet card or a sound card. Someone PLEASE help me.​
  2. rcvalencia9

Oct 29, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    You can check in the device manager and see if theres an exclamation point in your Ethernet Card and Sound Card. That means that you need a driver and install one. Look for CDs that came with your PC when you bought it if a Drivers CD is present. I am not sure if you have your motherboards CD that came with it. If you just built your own PC, you can install the onboard components from the MOBO Drivers CD. If nothing is present try downloading again the drivers from HP and make sure that you get the correct drivers. Good Luck
  3. macko72

Feb 22, 2005
    London, England, United Kingdom
    What build is your XP pro disc do you have SP2 if not try installing SP2 windows should pick up ethernet cards even without SP2 but give it a try!!!
  4. bailey

Mar 11, 1999
    Christmas, Florida
    you must use the recover cd that came with the computer, some of the needed drivers will not be on a standard xp cd, or on line eather.
    you probly needed to make a recover cd from the program that was on the old hard drive, if you did not do that, then your outta luck, unless you can place the old drive back into the computer and make the recover cd, or copy the entire hard drive to the new hard drive.