New Survey Ad - Grief

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Issues' started by EzyStvy, Nov 13, 2009.

1. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Ride 'em Cowboy Staff Member

The ad in the attach pic causes a bit of a navigation issue with the site.....

It basically Starts to pop up and then the back button on the site quits working...You have to click on something like the PcMech Forum Link at the very top left of the site....Once you click on that - then the ad pops up.

Attached Files:

2. David M

David M Techphile.

That's obnoxious. There is no excuse for that type of in your face advertising.

Besides, the only polls that are legitimate are where someone calls you randomly. Opinion Centrals polls where you are asked opt in and give your opinion are not legitimate polls. That is not a scientific method of taking polls.

Tone down your marketing OC and you wont get trashed by people like me. :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

This is not what you want to hear, but I'm getting a bit sick of everyone whining about the ads. Yes, there have been a few legitimate complaints, which we have always forwarded on to Dris for action. However, with this one, what is so %$#@&^ hard about hitting the Close button?

I'm not even going to mention premium memberships (utoh, I just did - shame on me) but it seems to me the 3 major browsers all have popup blockers these days, and there is a wide variety of ad blocking software out there.

4. EzyStvy

Not sure who you're talking too and I hope it isn't me...

This thread has nothing to do with clicking the close button on the ad - we have no choice but to click the close button...Some of us don't mind at all clicking the close buttonl..

It’s the loss of navigation that happens before you click the close button that’s the issue. And the loss happens before you even see the pop up..

I can live with it - but to a visitor it might look like the site is poorly maintained...and who would want to join a tech site that can't help themselves..:p

/end of rant - thank you for listening - have a nice day.

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I'm guessing that all you use is IE, but have you tried other browsers to see if they exhibit the same behavior?

I was primarily directing MY rant toward DavidM. He trashes us, I have no problem trashing him back. I honestly believe this forum is a LOT less ad-centric than most other FREE sites out there. Here's an example - I monitor 3 Yahoo mail accounts - two being AT&T/Yahoo, and the other being a standard free Yahoo account. The HUGE Flash ad sucks up memory big time in all 3 of my browsers (IE7, latest FF, latest Opera) and even causes FF to use 100% of the core it's on if I don't restart the browser DAILY. NOTE that this ad is even in the 2 mailboxes that I PAY for. How far do you think I'm going to get if I complain to Yahoo? Right - absolutely NOWHERE. Even when I have a totally legitimate issue with Yahoo, all I can get is a canned response that's been chosen by some idiot as being the best match for my problem - which NEVER actually addresses the issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that we have any Flash ads here, or ever have. Dris is a lot more conscious of appearances than you may think, but ads AND MARKETING are here to stay whether you approve of them or not. I've mentioned what you can do to get rid of them.

6. EzyStvy

George – the ads are fine. We love em…If you have to have more ads to bring in more money to hire more people to keep the site running smoothly – bring em on.

Or, Food for thought:

Option #1
    take membership fee dollar amount
    multiply that by 10
    cut check for calculated amount
    send check to me or some other long term member that has a decent knowledge of stuff

BOOM - instant tester person. Course I’ve been reporting issues with ads for years now. So sending a cash thank you would be like shooting yourself in the foot:p

Option#2
    From time to time have site staff members view the site from a “logged out” status or logged is a typical member. You could rotate and take turns so it wouldn’t be too painful to see the ads for a long period of time.

Option #3
    Both of the above

I could probably come up with some more good ideas…But the good thing is that no one has to change browsers and or install some ad blocking and anything else type software. You would have people testing the site for issues and have them post the results in the Internet or Wed Development section to help find solutions to any and all problems found.

Fixing the SEARCH and QUICK LINKS buttons would be a good place to start. They’ve been broken for over a year..

But the really good news this morning is that the pop up ad changed and the new one appears to not cause any problems….Guess good things come to those that wait:D