New Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by t2000kw, Dec 1, 2010.

1. t2000kw

t2000kw

I've subscribed to the newsletters but didn't realize that there was a forum associated with pcmech.com, so I thought I'd join and see if I can help, and possibly get help when I need it.

I'm a user of Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux and Linux Mint. I'm not one of those people who are a walking encyclopedia of PC knowledge, but I often can find answers to problems and work out a solution for my own issues, as well as help others at times, too. I feel it's more important to know how to find information than to try to learn and remember it all.

Before the turn of the century (circa 1999), I was able to take some difficult to understand instructions about how to get the video to work with Linux on the Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop and make it a step-by-step, easy-to-follow set of directions. It wasn't my knowledge (I acknowledged that in the Dell forums) but the simplification was appreciated by some of those who found the original information impossible to follow. I honestly didn't understand everything in the instructions, but no one had to understand, they just had to follow the directions, and it would work.

Other things in my past that I hope might be useful here include that I was a beta tester (during the development stage, before public testing) for Microsoft Windows NT 3.1, Windows 95, 98, 98SE, and XP. (I was picked as one of the top 1,000 testers for Win 95 and invited to the big MS party in Georgia (Atlanta, I believe), but I didn't go.) I wasnt invited to participate with Windows development after that because college (at age 40+) interfered somewhat with the time I could spend testing XP. I also tested during development for the "old" PC Tools company , Norton.Symantec for Norton Utilities, PKWare for PKZip, and some other companies. I also did some editing of program documentation for an Italian programmer in return for free software licenses from him for the software I re-wrote the documentation for.

I'm a homebrewer of beer and a home winemaker also. I've even won an award for one of my beers in the regional part of a national competition. I have a Yahoo group, Zymurgy, for general homebrewing information, and I co-own another couple of brewing-related groups there, Grow-Hops and BrwwingEquipment (the names of those tell you what they're about).

I am an amateur radio operator (extra class license) and my wife is also (novice class).

My wife and I share many interests, including freshwater, natural planted aquariums (which are more or less a closed ecosystem with little maintenance involved).

I'm also a gardener, and my wife and I grow both flowers and vegetables. We have about 60-70 roses in three small sections of our yard, grow grapes, hops, some vegetables, tomatoes, potatoes, and more. We try to stay fairly close to organic, avoiding pesticides in almost all cases, using crop rotation to control some pests.

Back to computers, I have fixed, upgraded, and built my own. I don't try to have the latest technologies in my PCs, and benefit from being a bit behind on the technology curve. My next project is to move my latest home built PC to our back room after the room is rearranged and cleaned to set up a personal video recorder using the HDTV tuner/capture card I installed and our HDTV over-the-air antenna. We get better-than-cable quality with most of the couple of dozen channels we receive. (I discontinued cable TV a couple of years ago when your company began having frequent plant shutdowns and some layoffs and don't miss the expense of cable, so I didn't switch back when our business picked up again.)

That's probably plenty of information to provide a snapshot of myself here. I look forward to participating, when I can, in the forums.

Donald

2. dale_t44

dale_t44

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Dale

3. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Welcome to the forum Dave! Glad to have you here.

Finally, someone who owns a natural planted aquarium like myself. :)

4. t2000kw

t2000kw

Well, more than one, I'm afraid. At one time, we had:

1- 100 gal with goldfish and some misc. fish. Now it no longer has goldfish, due to a mishap, but we are probably going to restock it and bring it back to its former glory. One goldfish lasted 15 years!
    2- 29 gal, one is now being used for a Chinese lizard.
    3- 55 gal, black angelfish in one now, the others about to be cleaned out and sold, but we once had some pretty Peruvian wild-caught neons in one of them (much prettier than the ones you can get in the aquarium shops).
    1- 5 gal with red snakeskin Sri Lanka guppies.
    1- 2.5 gal with Endlers in it.

We need the room back, so we're downsizing the number of tanks, but it was fun to have the variety.

5. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Sounds impressive. I have:

1 - 55 gal with wild-caught Discus and some some shoalers (rummy-noses, etc).
    1 - 40 gal with rainbows

Not as grand as that, but I'm thinking about starting up a tank for Galaxy Rasboras..

6. t2000kw

t2000kw

I love discus. I had one living with the black angels but he eventually died. I'll probably get some more someday.