New from MI

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lotusboots, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lotusboots

lotusboots Guest

Hey everyone. I'm totally new to computers. I barely know nothing about them but I would love to learn. I'm going to be going to college this fall but im not sure if I want to build my own laptop or just buy one :). If anybody has any links or books to people who are new to computers and programming please tell me lol

2. David M

David M Techphile.

Welcome aboard!

It is possible to build your own laptop but the parts selection is very limited. With Windows based desktops, the parts selection is enormous.

There are books like the "Dummies" and "Idiot's" guides but the technology changes so fast they quickly become outdated. It is best to jump right in and start reading the posts. I think you will learn pretty quickly this way.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. lotusboots

lotusboots Guest

Thanks for the welcome! With the small selection is it possible to make a good fast laptop? I'm thinking maybe buying a laptop and customize things.

4. David M

David M Techphile.

I don't know much more other that that. My impression with laptop pricing is that it is very competitive with thin profit margins. You have to price out the parts for a do it yourselfer versus one that is factory built. The cost of labor for assembly is not a big factor where if you do it yourself it is not going to save you a big percentage. The people who assemble this stuff in China are probably making less than a dollar per hour.

glc knows much more about this than I.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Check with your college - I know a lot of them have fairly specific requirements for laptops, and they will offer them at a discount through the school bookstore with an appropriate warranty and full support. Don't buy or build one till you know what is expected.

It's possible to somewhat build your own, but it's not cost-effective.

6. jdeb

jdeb

what part of MI?