New Build (Gaming)

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by unholy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. unholy

unholy

Alright, so I'm not looking to make a completely new build, but rather seeking advice on how to progress. I think I've hit the ceiling as far what I can upgrade from my first build that I did when I was 17. I've got a few parts that I think I can still recycle and hopefully use.

AMD Phenom II X4 940
    MSI K9A2 CF-F Mainboard (this thing is ancient I know)
    OCZ2P1066 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    XFX Radeon HD5770 1GB
    Corsair 750W PSU
    Seagate 1TB HDD

I've got mouse/keyboard/speakers/headphones. I'll need a case as the current Antec 900 has seen some better days. And I think that my GPU is nearly dead. It just started artifacting the other night, but I've had troubles with the graphics driver resetting periodically and I can't seem to figure out why.(This has happened on and off for two years now.

So in an ideal world, I'd only have to replace a case and a new GPU. But I don't think that will be the case in my situation. I'm unsure of the newest GPUs or CPUs now and I think that in order to even get a new GPU, I'm going to have to shell out money for a new Main board. And if I have to do that, then I might as well just start from scratch.

Help me please?!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I think you have plenty of life left in your core components.

Have you blown the dust out of the system recently and checked for video card fan operation?

I'd go for a new case and video card for now. They can always be kept when you do upgrade the core whenever. Personally, I'd wait on those at least till Ivy Bridge is out and proven.

3. rwest

rwest

4. unholy

unholy

That is where my issue is. Will my motherboard support these new PCI-E 3.0 cards?

5. jdeb

jdeb

Yes. They are backwards compatible. However, the newer chipsets coming out will take advantage of the technology.

6. unholy

unholy

Thanks!

Now to figure out what GPU to buy..

7. glc

What is your budget for the video card?

8. unholy

unholy

Was looking at around $300. I play some BF3, Dota2, LoL, Skyrim, Call of Duty etc.. so I'd like a decent mid range card. No real objection to ATI or nVIDIA. Last nVIDIA I had was the 8800GT so... I've been out of the loop for some time.

9. Sourtop

Sourtop

10. glc

If the 570's are starting to go under $300, that's the best for the money.

11. jdeb

jdeb

12. Sourtop

Sourtop

EVGA has changed its warranty. Now its only 3 years, but it is transferable.

If you put a GTX 570 in that machine you should be able to play all games at max or near max settings. Save up and get an Ivy Bridge system this summer and upgrade as you go. Your HDD and PSU are fine so all you'll need to get in the future is a new motherboard, CPU, and memory.

13. jdeb

jdeb

Wrong

EVGA | Products

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

14. Sourtop

Sourtop

15. jdeb

jdeb

You are misreading it. It says a minimum of three years. Depending on the series of card will decide the warranty scenario. I believe they improved their overall warranty structure on all cards.

I just RMA'd one (AR series) from an over-zealous overclocker and they handled it quickly with no issues.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  16. Sourtop

Sourtop

Ah, you're right. My bad.

17. jdeb

jdeb

It's all good. Understandable, it may help someone out. :D

18. Sourtop

Sourtop

Its good you called me on that. I was planning on getting one of the EVGA 4 GB GTX 680 signatures when they're released and the warranty changes had me a bit confused.

19. unholy

unholy

Alright I think I'm going to splash on that EVGA 570 that jdeb posted.

I mentioned that I've been having cooling issues despite cleaning out my system of dust. I even pulled my components out and dusted them all individually. It didn't really help.

Is there any cons to having a full tower as opposed to a mid tower? Obviously size/weight, but anything regarding airflow?

Also, I should mention that I'm going to have to put said case on the floor(I think this is part of my problem now) so it sucks in a bunch of dust that it normally wouldn't. I was looking at something like these.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

20. glc

Any of the Coolermaster HAF cases will give you excellent cooling and airflow.

If you put a case on the floor, I'd recommend you put a small block of something under each corner to get the bottom of the case off the floor. If it's on carpet, also put some kind of mat under it.