New build--compatibility check? Also, I want a little bling!

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by bwwhite2000, Nov 8, 2005.

1. bwwhite2000

bwwhite2000

I read the stickies at the top of this forum, so I’m trying to give as much detail as possible.
    =========================

I built my first computer 10 years ago, using bottom drawer parts.

My 3-year old Gateway computer just died (mobo). I'm bringing it back to life with a cheap mobo, case, and video card and handing it off to my wife who only needs it for email and word processing. That leaves me without a computer. I was going to buy a Dell, but a co-worker got me interested in building my own instead.

After much reading at Anandtech and other sites, I've come up with this list of parts so far.

Budget: preferably < $1500
    Purpose: multi-purpose machine, but must handle moderate gaming (I still have teenagers); does not need to be optimized for gaming, so the "latest and greatest" isn't necessary

Here are the parts I've picked out so far:

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3700+ (although it looks like the mobo only supports 3500+ or 3800+, so I will either go up or down).
    Video card: looking for a recommended PCIexpress card w/256 MB RAM based on ATI Radeon technology; considering Sapphire Radeon X800XL Ultimate or HIS Radeon X800GT Turbo IceQ II . Although if someone can recommend a good graphics card of the Radeon ilk that is $150 or less, I’m open to suggestions.

** Regarding the mobo and video card, should I get a mobo based on ATI Radeon if I'm getting an ATI Radeon video card or does it matter?

Sound card: plan to use the onboard sound, as it will be more than adequate
    Modem: none needed—have DSL
    LAN: onboard
    Optical: BenQ DW1640 DVD±RW Dual Layer Burner (other ideas?)
    HDD: Seagate 3.0Gbps 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Barracuda 7200.9
    Memory: 1GB, but need some recommendations; considering OCZ 2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR RAM; read an article suggesting speed difference between 2x512 and 1x1 GB may not be sufficient to justify the cost. Also, I think 1 GB is really all I need.
    Monitor: will keep my Gateway 19” LCD. It’s a really nice monitor. My wife’s computer will use a 17” CRT.
    Keyboard and mouse: taken care of already.

Now comes the part where I really want some input. I’ve decided that I want to add some bling to my new computer. I want a case with a side window and some interior lighting, but I don’t want to go overboard. I’m over 50, but I think my kids will appreciate the looks of what I’m trying to assemble. Here’s what I’ve chosen so far:

Case: ThermalRock Eclipse (black with side window)
    CPU cooler: Thermaltake Blue Orb II
    PSU: probably Thermaltake PurePower 460W blue light ATX 12V 2.0, however I’m open to other suggestions.

I don’t know if the 120mm fans on the case light up or not. Can/should I replace them with one of these? (preferably the Blue-eye or the smart case fan). Would that be overkill?

Do I need to add any internal UV lighting or will the lights from the PSU be sufficient? I want something eye-catching.

How about cabling? I see that Thermaltake makes some rounded cables. I don’t know if the are UV reactive. What cabling do I need and where do I get it?

I’m so glad to have found this site and look forward to any and all replies.

Bruce

2. MakeYourslf2012

MakeYourslf2012

Everything looks great.

Just a few things:

- Make sure you check at MSI's website for whatever RAM you choose, make sure its on the QVL.
    - If you don't plan on OC'ing, then an extra CPU cooler isn't necessary. If you buy a CPU Retail, it comes with a HSF.

If you want to get some LED Fans, I think it will look pretty cool. Also, instead of going out and buying some round cables, you could just get some UV paint and paint the ribbon cables that come with your motherboard - It would look pretty cool. Just a suggestion:)

3. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

Round cables cause less congestion, and therefore air flow, problems than ribbon cables... I'd definitely advise buying round cables

4. MakeYourslf2012

MakeYourslf2012

It was just a suggestion, if everything is tidy and the round cables are folded properly, then i would say the air flow wouldnt be a problem. He could use the money that was going towards round cable to use to buy a UV cathode perhaps.

Just trying to safe some money:D

5. yeoamuca

yeoamuca

i have that motherboard and cpu
    they work very well together
    i recommend corsair ram
    i have twinx1024 3200c2pt
    it is dual channel 2x512 and its pretty low latency ram
    works very well with my system as well

6. yeoamuca

yeoamuca

just to clarify the platinum does support the 3700 if you check the msi website which is msicomputer.com
    also they recommend corsair ram
    i checked corsair and that ram is compatible
    i got 2 sets of the twinx1024 3200c2pt
    but 1 set works very well that what i had for a while

7. bwwhite2000

bwwhite2000

OK, I'm going to reveal that I haven't done as much of my homework as I thought I had.

What is the advantage of an SLI board? If my gaming needs are only moderate, do I really need an SLI board?

The PSU specified in my original post was not listed as qualified for an SLI board on an NVidia-related website (I've forgotten the URL).

Again I ask, if I'm going with an ATI Radeon based video card, do I also want to have a mobo with an ATI chipset?

Will I save some $$ by using a non-SLI mobo?

Thanks!

Bruce

8. yeoamuca

yeoamuca

the k8n neo4 platinum is not a sli motherboard
    and if you are only doing moderate gaming you really dont need sli
    you need two video cards for sli as well

9. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

An SLI board means you can plug two video cards in and they will work together to increase your systems ability to handle games markedly. For instance, two SLI 6600 GTs will beat one 6600 GT by a fair bit... however, a 6800 GT will beat two 6600 GTs. It's more so that you can buy one top of the line GPU now, and later when the price comes down buy a second to give your system a bit of a boost.

And yes, you'll save money not having a SLI mobo... SLI is a Radeon thing, not an ATi, and therefore you'd want the equivalent, Crossfire. Personally I wouldn't bother

[Edit]: yeoamuca beat me to it

10. bwwhite2000

bwwhite2000

OK, I've narrowed down some of my choices.

My next question is about noise. Given this setup:

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MS-7125-010 Motherboard
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3700+ 1MB San Diego
    Memory: Corsair 2x512
    CPU cooler: ThermalTake Blue Orb CPU cooler II (CL-P0257)
    Case: Thermal Rock Eclipse
    PSU: ThermalTake PurePower 460W Blue Light ATX
    Graphics: HIS RADEON X800GT TURBO ICEQII 256MEG PCI EXPRESS
    DVD/CD: NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner
    HD: Seagate 3.0Gbps 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Barracuda 7200.9

Do I need any noise dampening things like rubber grommits, etc.? I'm not aiming for a silent PC, just wondering if a few small things will cut down noise a lot, or if it's not worth the effort.

Also, do you think I really need the ThermaTake CPU cooler, or would a stock cooler be OK?

I know the video card will take up 2 slots, but would it cause any problems in this case with this mobo?

Thanks again for all the help! I will definitely post pictures when I'm all up and running!

Bruce

11. bwwhite2000

bwwhite2000

Progress so far

For my new build, so far I've ordered these parts:

Case: Thermal Rock Eclipse (black w/window)
    PSU: ThermalTake PurePower 460W Blue Light ATX

Got all 3 parts at ClubIT.com for about $302.

Bruce

12. jayb1234

jayb1234

You might need a floppy drive for installing drivers, Bios updates, diagnostics, system recovery etc..
    You left the OS off your list. Windows XP oem for about 80-100 bucks should be fine unless you need some specific feature of XP Pro.​

13. Andy H

Andy H

Floppy drive necessary?

Is a floppy drive really needed for bios/drivers updates? Couldn't one just load it on to a CD and use that, as long as the CD/DVD-ROM is set up as a boot drive?

I haven't used a floppy on my 5-year-old box more than 5 times in the last 3 years and probably not at all in the last 18 months.

14. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

Stock would be fine. You don't really need an aftermarket cooler on the Athlon 64s unless you want to overclock.

15. bwwhite2000

bwwhite2000

Further update

Update on my new build:

Ordered & on its way from Newegg:
    Optical drive: NEC DVD Burner model ND-3540A
    Video Card: HIS Radeon X800GTO IceQ Turbo II 256MB
    Total cost: $245.98

Ordered & on its way from Zipzoomfly:
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor (San Diego) Socket 939 Retail
    Memory: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Heat Spreader
    Total cost: $443.99

Ordered & on its way from ClubIT.com:
    Case: Thermal Rock Eclipse (black w/window)
    PSU: ThermalTake PurePower 460W Blue Light ATX 2.0
    Total cost: $303.93

Ordered & awaiting shipment from Amazon.com:
    Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
    Total cost: $49.88

Ordered & awaiting shipment from Monarch Computer:
    Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 Heatsink & Fan
    Total Cost: $42.70
    (I know this is probably overkill, but it’ll look nice through the window.)

Total system cost so far:
    $1086.48

Still need some cabling. I’ll pick it up at a local CompUSA. Also want to pick up some UV lights. I think I can get them locally, too.

Regarding an OS, I already own XP Pro on my dead computer. I plan to re-install it on the new build. I may have to re-activate it. I’ll let you know how that goes. I’ve read both good and bad about this.

I’ll report on any glitches in the build and will submit pictures when I’m finally done. Thanks to all for help and suggestions! I’m excited to get started.

Bruce