New 19 inch widescreen resolution problem

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ken_tbh, Nov 25, 2006.

1. ken_tbh

ken_tbh

My mother just bought a new 19 inch widescreen monitor. The native resolution is 1440 X 900 but the settings options in windows doesnt have a selection for that resolution. How do I make this work at its native resolution?:confused:

2. juppy

juppy Professional Cow Tipper

What brand and model of monitor? A monitor will usually come with a software/drivers CD....did you install that?

3. ken_tbh

ken_tbh

Its a westinghouse LCM-19w4
    No it didnt come with any driver cd, just a manual and it doesnt seem to cover this.

Any Ideas?

I'm sure theres some simple answer I'm missing here.

4. juppy

Well, their website says they don't require additional software. Are you sure your video card will support that resolution? What brand and model of video card are you using, or if onboard, what chipset?

5. RJ

RJ

Have you installed newer drivers ? Maybe you have old drivers which don't support that resolution.

Also be sure the correct monitor model is displayed in device manager.

RJ

6. newbuilder14

newbuilder14 Not so new

You need to update your video card drivers then.

7. coreywhite

coreywhite

Just to make totally sure . . .

You are trying this with that monitor hooked up to your computer, right? My understanding is that Windows will only offer widescreen resolutions like that if it actually detects a widescreen monitor attached.

8. ken_tbh

ken_tbh

Yes, the monitor is hooked up to the computer. Shes not running a video card, shes using the onboard video. Its an ECS P4m800-m7 version 3.1. I looked on the dispaly properties and windows is detecting it as a CRT plug and play monitor. How do I get windows to recognize it as a widescreen?:confused:

9. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

Go to ECS web site and see if they have updated video drivers for that mother board.

10. RJ

RJ

No. Windows will offer all resolutions that the display supports. If your display model is not set in device manager, it will offer you all the resolutions that the card is capable of.

I can choose 1440x900 on my Video card (ATI X800GT), and I have a 4:3 monitor.

It's essentially the same thing. You need new drivers, then it should work.

RJ

11. juppy

In case you haven't found it already, HERE'S A LINK to the latest driver on the ECS website. It's down at the bottom under the VGA subtitle. If you're using Windows XP or 2000, it's the first one, V16.94.44.51. If you're still using Windows ME or 9x, then it's the one below that, 16.01.23.19 (9x).