network printing problem

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by gbirke, May 11, 2001.

1. gbirke

gbirke

Network is running Win NT 4.0. Some of the work stations are running NT 4.0 and some of them are running Win 98SE. One station running NT has a HP Deskjet 500 connected to it (stop laughing), problem is stations running 98SE can't print to the printer. Get "The access code is invalid" "This printer will be set to work offline". Other stations running NT have no problem printing to it. Can the problem be fixed and if so how?

2. mhayes

mhayes

How are you connecting to this printer, how is it shared and which driver are you using?

3. gbirke

gbirke

Mhayes,
    On the Win 98 computer it was installed as a network printer (using Win 98 drivers). On the NT 4.0 computer that the printer is connected to it is installed as a shared printer. Using the drivers that come with NT 4.0. I hope this is what your asking for, any further info will have to wait intill Monday so I can look at computers.

4. mhayes

mhayes

That was what I was asking and seems fine to me. Are the Win98 machines logging into the NT Domain and do they have rights to this printer?

5. gbirke

gbirke

Yes to both questions.

6. gbirke

gbirke

mhayes,
    The printer is working now. The printers scheduling was set to "print directly" I switched it to "spool print documents" and "start printing immediately". Thanks for your help.

7. mhayes

mhayes

Good to hear! It's the little problems that'll drive you nuts!