network internet

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Ramer, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Ramer

Ramer

i wanna know what i need to do to set up internet across my network

2. DrZaius

DrZaius

Hi Ramer,

What kind of internet connection will you use? If it is cable or DSL then there are two ways to connect your network to the internet.

One was is to get a NIC (ethernet card) for each computer, a switch and a router. Setup is simple, just connect each computer to the switch, connect the switch to the router (some routers have built in switches) and the connect router to the modem.

Another was is to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows 98SE. For this method you will need to designate one computer the "gateway" (usually fastest with most RAM) that will connect to the internet. You will then need to connect all of the computers to a switch (including the "gateway"), install/configure ICS on each computer and you're done. The downside is that the "gateway" computer must be on and connected for the rest of the network to acess the internet.

This is just a general overview and I'm sure others have more to add. Hope that helps.

3. BambiX

BambiX

4. thepete

thepete

Where do you find this "ICS"?

Where do you find this "ICS"? I can't find it on either of my Win98se machines. Please let me know. Thanks!

5. jotto84

jotto84

its only on your machine if you set it up immediately after install, so put in yer win98 cd, and install it, from the add/remove icon in the control panel. It will be in the accessories folder i believe. Then as soon as it is installed, you set it up, otherwise it will be gone

6. DrZaius

DrZaius

7. Floppyman

Floppyman PCMech Owner Staff Member

Exact spot on your machine where you'll find whether ICS is installed or not is: Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup Tab/. Click on to highlight Internet Tools then click details. If Internet connection is checked it's installed, if not check it. Insert your win98 cd and will install it. After that it will even make you a client disk that you can use to configure your separate computers. HTH