netgear fa311 driver needed

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by mike12, Aug 19, 2007.

1. mike12

mike12

Working on an older computer with Win. 98 2nd. edition. I got everything working except the ethernet card. Reading the info. on the card, I see Netgear FA311 Rev-D2. I tried a driver called F31XV180 a few times. I installed the card, and then tried to install the driver. Windows appeared to be installing the driver I had downloaded on my flash card. At a certain point Windows asked me to insert the Win 98 disc, which I did, but Windows was unable to find the files it was searching for. After a reboot, I get several messages that Windows cannot find a few files etc. After I press CONTINUE a few times, I eventually get Windows loaded. I guess I do not have the correct driver, or is something else messed up. I wound up reformatting again, but I eventually got to the same point. Any suggestions ? A link to the correct driver maybe ? Many thanks, Mike

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. mike12

mike12

glc-no luck. I downloaded the file you gave me the link to which was a zip file labeled FA311_6_driver. Then I unzipped it to the floppy, which became FA311 V6.1 a regular file. I then started the computer with Win 98. After it asked me for the driver location I pointed it to the A drive, and then selected the FA311 V6.1 file. However Windows said it can not locate a driver there. I then looked at that file. There are three items 1). netrtoem which is labeled a security file. 2). netrtoem which is a setup info. file. I looked at the info. there, and it seemed to be talking about Vista ?? 3). rtnicxp, which is a system file

4. mike12

mike12

Fixed---I was looking at the ethernet cards at Netgear, and the one I have did not really loook like the ones pictured. The "newer" version was just released in 2006 I believe, so I downloaded the older version again. I went through the same steps again as I did before. However this time when Windows asked for the Win 98 CD, I guess I told it where to look as glc had pointed out. I thought I had told it where to look the first time, but I guess I didn't, anyway this time everything worked. It found the files it needed on the Win 98 CD and then said it needed to reboot. After the reboot, I checked Device Manager, and the FA311 is installed and working properly. Many thanks !!

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You need to unhide your extensions for known file types so you know what you are dealing with. That was a FOLDER inside the zip, not just a file.