My 1st post and 1st build, I need a heading check

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by BigRed CC Dually, Nov 19, 2005.

1. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

Hello all, this is a great resource and after reading previous posts I have decided to take the plunge and try to build my next computer.

I want to build a relatively robust machine that will not be completely obsoleted before I even get get the parts delivered. The machine is intended to be a gaming machine as well as the normal web surfing and word processing.

Here is a list of items I am looking at from Newegg.

Case: Antec Performance I P180 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W

Mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ ClawHammer 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939

Hard drive: WD SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

GPU: 2ea ASUS EN6800GT/2DT/256MB Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

CD/DVD: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

Input: Microsoft CA9-00001 Black 103 Normal Keys 3 Function Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard Mouse Included

OP Syst: Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition 1 package

Memory: Need suggestions

I am confused about the Clawhammer vs. San Diego nomenclature for the CPU, which would be better for my application and why?

I figure the 64bit operating system would be the way to go so as not to have to buy Vista when it comes out just to upgrade. Will the programs I have now run on the 64bit OS? Other than finding drivers for devices are there any other issues?? Will there most likely be drivers for the items on the list?? I have searched for drivers for my current printer, Canon S630 and scanner HPScanJet 5300C, and they are both so old that there are none but it is no big deal, I'll use them with this machine.

Other wise does the list seem as if it will work fine together? The goal was to stay less than $1700 and I'm at $1706.92 now without the memory so I guess I'll need to add a lil' $$ to get that, any suggestions as to what to get now and that I can add to later as more money becomes available.

Sorry for such basic newbie questions, please be gentile. We old folks (I'm a retiree LOL) need all the help we can get from the Knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

Rick (BigRed CC Dually)

2. jfk

jfk

I would replace the two 6800's with one 7800GTX, it will be cheaper and outperform them. Later, you can add a second 7800 when they cheapen up. I would avoid the 64 bit OS, there is not much driver support for it right now. The San Diego is more recent technology, and uses a 90nm process instead of a 130nm. It will run cooler and has better memory controllers. Get the San Diego. Should be a very nice system.

3. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

jfk,

Thanks for the suggestions. Any thought as to memory?

4. jfk

jfk

If you don't plan on overclocking, a gig of valueselect from Corsair would be fine. If you're going to play BF2, F.E.A.R., COD2, it wouldn't hurt to have 2 gigs. If you plan to overclock, get the premium ram such as Corsair XMS, OCZ Gold/Platinum, etc. Just make SURE you run your mobo through a configutor for whichever ram maker you go with to be sure it's compatible. Most manufacturers of memory and mobos will have compatibility lists or configutors on their websites.

5. kosova

kosova

i checked uer mobo and it supports 184-pin DDR400 so here is 2Gigs
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227039
    or maybe u wanna save and cant afford it with uer budget, here is also a good 512 stick of ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223033

you could buy that 512MB roswell see how that goes, if u on the way feel its slowing u down just buy another 512 stick

6. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

jfk,

Thanks, the savings from the OS and GPU will pay for the memory ( I have an unused copy of XP Pro) Good suggestions. I want to do mostly driving sim games like Grand Prix Legends and GTR, however my son plays HalfLife2 on line a lot too.

Thanks again for the help, especially with the CPU info. I was surprised as the San Diego is cheaper and in stock at Newegg vs. the Clawhammer so I assumed that the Clawhammer version was the one to go with.

7. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

kosova,

Thanks for the links and you kind help.

8. Science_guy

Science_guy

jfk's suggestions are right on the money. As for memory, 2 Gb of Corsair Value Select running in dual-channel mode would be great for now and the future.

9. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

Science_guy,

I assume (there's that word again LOL ) that I should get two 1 Gb sticks, right? And down the road add two more to fill the Mobo if needed.

Thanks, Rick

10. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

Yes, that's the idea. You could get 4 512MB sticks, but you wouldn't be able to add any more should you need to.

11. kosova

kosova

I doubt that the average user will ever need more then 2Gigs that is if they arent doing some heavy dual burning in NERO. 512Mb is for the average user who doesnt play any 3-d games, 1GIG is like medium for a gamer. 1.5-2Gigs is like pretty much Maximum...anyone in here actually run with more then 2gigs, i'd like to know lol

12. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

13. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

Definitely agreed, I've got 2 gigs, which is needed for BF2 to run smoothly, but 1 gig is usually enough for most games...but then again, who knows what the games of the future will require?

14. kosova

kosova

if your that worried that you may not be the top of the TOp dog out there with RAM..why not get one of those mobo's I hear that there are out there, that support 16GIGS..yes 16GIGS..and fill it all up even with RAM with cas latency 5.0 wont make a diff since so much ram would be in there

15. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

kosova,

Actually I do use Nero 6 to transfer Mini dV tapes to the HDD and burn DVDs, I have started putting home movies on DVD to make them easier to watch when we want and to make copies for the family if they want. Based on your suggestion I'll start with the 2Gigs and see how it goes...thanks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  16. Science_guy

Science_guy

17. jfk

jfk

You are most welcome. You are building a kick butt system that I'm sure you will be VERY happy with! Good luck.

18. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

Another question for you fine folks that I have come up with since looking at the MoBo, will the heat sink and fan that comes with the Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego, work with this motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe) it has heat pipes? Or will I have to buy another fan too for the board? The ASUS site didn't make it clear to me.

19. kosova

kosova

the stock cooling that comes with a cpu should work in an amd compatible mobo thats the same socket..otherwise NO. If the final mobo u picked is compatible with cpu the heatsink and fan will work with it

20. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

Okay, thanks kosava